We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley of the Kings

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Valley of the Kings

Im going to Sharm on 2nd September and would love to go see the valley of the kings, could anyone let me know if this is offered as one of the excursions?? I dont want to book flights and guide myself as i am worried about doing it that way.

Keith, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valley of the Kings

Hi Donna

We are also going on the 2nd September. We have booked flights with egypt air and a guide in Luxor that is recommended through this site. If you require any further info let me know. We have booked independantly before and have not had any problems.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,154 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valley of the Kings

Hi,

Yes it is; check out the Tips for 1st Timers thread which is further down under your post. It explains what trips are available as well as many other tips.

Itinerary would be something like:

Colossi of Memmnon, Queen Hatshepsut Temple in the valley of Queens, Valley of the Kings - we saw Tut, who's still in situ, nobles tombs, Karnak & Luxor temples (latter is said to be the Temple of Ascension) Alabaster factory.

Regards

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valley of the Kings

Donna29 why are you worried about booking flights and guide by yourself? It isn't difficult or scary, I have recently done 6 egyptair flights and been met by a guide no problem. I also did another one last year. I know some people don't like to do that but I am concerned that you might think that you are in danger. You are perfectly safe and it really is easy , especially the Luxor trip.

If you want to book via your travel company then the rep will charge upwards of £140 per adult. When I went to Sharm in '06 the rep wanted £170!!!!

Booking in Sharm again the prices vary but I have seen it on TA forums for anything upwards of £120per person.

Hope this helps

Kazl

Wirral
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Valley of the Kings

its not that i am worried becasuse i think i will be in danger, i am 29 and i havent been abroard since i was 17 and that was with my parents, i quite nervous about going to a new place, one step at a time and all that, lol

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valley of the Kings

donna i see now....i was just concerned that you felt safety was a problem. Well I hope you have a great trip and enjoy Sharm and Luxor. My favourite is Luxor because of all the historical sites. Try and get to Medinat Habu as well if you can. The temple is really nice to see.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valley of the Kings

Donna,

If you don't want to do it yourself book either with your rep or go into Naama Bay high street, opposite HSBC and book with Fayed Travel, or one of the other travel agents in Sharm. I booked an organised trip for £100, including guide and lunch earlier this year with Fayed travel and it was well organised.

Make sure however, that there are other people booked, because although I booked a package I was the only one!! So I flew on my own and was met by a guide and driver just for me. That was great for me because I amended the itinerary to suit myself (no papyrus factory!!), but if you are nervous you probably want to make sure you are in a group.

Now I have found this site, I would now do it independently, because its much cheaper and you can decide your own itinerary.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valley of the Kings

Hi Donna

I've always booked my trips with the rep (apart from one) because I am on my own and felt I needed the added security. I go with Longwood, the excursions have been super and the guides have always been very professional.

Longwood won't run a trip with less than 4 people, hence the one trip through another company to Cairo, that was also very good, but was by bus, no plane trip available at that time. If I was going back to Cairo or Luxor, I wouldn't hesitate to do it independently, because I've already been, but I'm glad I did it with my holiday company for a first trip.

The Valley of the Kings is absolutely amazing, it has left such a lasting impression, books about it just don't do it justice, you'll love it.

Regards

Barbara

South Wales Gwent
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Valley of the Kings

Hi Donna

Certain Points to look here, I would definately not book through the holiday rep but in your case if you are a little nervous then it may be the best option, also the tour shops in Sharm are plentiful and also cheaper than the holiday rep, but you never know how many of you are going and you could be the only one, but you will be accompanied most of the time, you will be collected at the hotel and taken to the airport, then you will be met at luxor airport and taken to the valleys and other sites and then returned to the airport after a long day and then met at sharm airport back to your hotel but make sure you get some contact numbers off the tour company in case of emergencies.

Once you have been with the tour shops / holiday reps if you ever go again then you can do it independently because you will have an idea of what you want, like miss out the alabasta and papyrus factories as you pay for the guides commision ! never buy anything when you are with a guide, also it is too much to take in with just one trip, although you will be totally amazed at these historic sites you need to go back and take a slower pace at each site and this is where it would be an advantage to do it independently but from what you have said you will be better not going on your own the first time, also safety is not an issue as you will be safe as houses over there but be prepared for the hassle in Sharm and Luxor which you will thoroughly enjoy I have no doubt about that.

Are you going on holiday alone or with company ?

Regards Paul

9. Re: Valley of the Kings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh