We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food alergy need help to translate!

sunderland
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food alergy need help to translate!

Hi my husband has an alergy to the marrow family and needs to be able to exsplain which foods he cannot have on his plate whilst staying in Sharm Egypt. Does anyone know where, who could help. Parsley is a member of the marrow family and is used as a garnish on most things so this is something he must learn to say. So if you know the words for NO PARSLEY THANKYOU! it would be very helpful.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

He must be very careful - Parsley turns up in all sorts of unexpected dishes in Egypt. He should be very wary of salads and stuffed vegetables as it tends to get chopped up beyond recognition.

I would advise that you get very friendly with the executive chef as soon as you arrive and explain the situation fully to him - if you give him a list of vegetables (is courgette a marrow?) that must be avoided I'm sure they would do their utmost to comply. You must stress how ill he can become if they unintentionally put any in the dish as they may just assume he doesn't like it.

The word for parsley is "Bakdounis" - over here it is the flat leaf variety that is prevalent.

When ordering you may like to state "Maa ma fiche bakdounis" meaning 'with no parsley'. If you want to ask if there is parsley in a dish try "Fi bakdounis fil tabak di" meaning 'Is there parsley in this plate/dish'

sunderland
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

Thankyou so much for this information, you seam to know alot about the subject and seem very fluent in the language, The courgette, cucumber, Marrow, mellon & cellery all also offenders. Could you please list the translation for all of thease and we will right them down and keep showing them were ever we eat.

It would be very nice if we could also have the translation for 'Please can you make sure none of thease items are in this dish as it will make me very ill as I have an allergy to them and they could kill me!' We are staying at the Hyatt so would hope we will be able to get someone to help but just incase we best be prepared. Thankyou so much.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

I've sent you a Private Message with a bunch of translations - if you can't find it, let me know!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

Hi

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but my friend has a severe reaction to garlic and she would like to carry a card with something along the lines of the following:

"Does this food contain garlic? I have a severe allergy to garlic and eating even small amounts can make me violently ill."

She always has to stress that it makes her ill as people just assume she doesn't like garlic.

If you could help with this I'd be very grateful.

Sue

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

PM coming your way too, SueGill.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

Thank you so much!!

I've copied your translation into a Word document and printed it out for my friend.

Sue

7. Re: Food alergy need help to translate!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh