We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oxford, england
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Hi guys...

We are off to the sultans gardens in March for our first visit to egypt.

(Cannot wait...hope the hotel is as good as the reviews)

Anyway - our doctors surgery is wanting us to be vaccinated against every disease known to man.(which i could understand if we were camping in the egyptian desert for 6 months)

The first doctor said we need both the Hep jabs and also the tetenus. But now they said we have to have malaria and typhoid as well.

Think this is a bit of overkill for a week in a resort where i am not planning on moving from the sunbed and beach - and worried that all these jabs will be alot for my kids to take in their little bodies..

I would appreciate your opinions and would like to hear what advice you all have been given..

any info on sultan gardens would be great too x

north lincs
Level Contributor
266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Hi,

We was advised to have Hep A, Typhoid and Tetanus at the docs, most people have had tetanus jab anyway, and they last 10 years and the other 2 are usually in 1 jab, we've just had our boosters and the nurse didn't reccomend any other jabs and were going to the same place as you but in July

Mell

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

The extra two jabs that you need for Sharm are Hep A and Typhoid.

The other jabs that you need are your 'triple' or DTP

Diptheria, Tetnus and Polio. But we need that for the UK so most people are up to date on it.

Never heard of Malarial drugs being needed for Sharm.

The dose for kids is a reduced dose so I wouldn't worry about it. The jabs last for years so they will not just cover this one weeks holiday. Much better than contracting the illnesses themselves.

Probably best to have them incase it invalidates the medical bit your travel insurance if you dont.

HTH, Titania

oxford, england
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Thanks ...I agree that i would rather take the vaccine than risk the illnesses. I just wanted to check because some of the people i know havent had these jabs ?

Anyway we are really excited about going - just hope the sultan gardens lives up to the reviews x

7 weeks to go.....yippee !

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

You will probably love Sharm and want to go back a few times. Then you wont regret having the jabs.

When you go to see the nurse, with one of the jabs you go back within a cetain time (12 months?) and have a booster - probably the typhoid one.

This is worth doing as our nurse said that officially they state it covers you for 10 years, but there is an unwritten understanding, that it is more likely that it would work for 20 years. Amazing really.

Have a great holiday.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Never heard of malaria protection being advised - it's not a malarial area. You wouldn't want to take malaria prevention drugs without reason - they an all have side effects that can be unpleasant for some people.

Youd kids will probably already have had the tetanus/polio/wotsit jabs. Hep A is worth having, as they now say the protection lasts up to 25 years, and it's useful for any African or Eastern Mediterranean countries. You don't need Hep B protection unless you're likely to be sharing needles or having intimate contact with locals who are infected, which is pretty unlikely on a family holiday.

We did have the typhoid jab, but I'm not sure how necessary it was for a hotel-based holiday. That one used to give you a very sore arm, but this time it was no problem - the sore arm was from the tetanus/polio booster we had.

dorset
Level Contributor
133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Hi

Think I read somewhere that Malaria is only required if coming from Sudan

oxford, england
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

Thanks everyone - saw the travel clinic practitioner on thursday, and she was the one who said about malaria ? I asked my mum (a nurse) and she had never heard of a malaria requirement for egypt either - and she has been there loads of times - but the surgery said this was the latest advice ??

Do they know something we dont ???

I know it is a high mosey area - but she was quite adamant that we all have it along with all the other jabs ! - gonna look like a pin cushion !!!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

I don't understand the advice you've been given re malaria - there isn't a jab for it. You have to take tablets, usually starting a week or more before the trip and continuing for some time after it.

Yes, there may well be mosquitoes (although we never saw any in January) but that doesn't mean they carry malaria. This only happens in certain areas, and the coastal areas of Egypt are not malaria areas. The only area of Egypt where there's any risk at all is one small inland area near Cairo. Look at this:

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…egypt.htm It's an NHS site so I think you can rely on it.

Don't be bullied into taking drugs you don't need or having jabs if you don't understand the purpose of them.

oxford, england
Level Contributor
649 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

I will look into it more - it was a course of malaria tablets they advised (not jab obviously) but i am going to ask her where her info is from ??

I did question it at the time - but she advised it - i will double check with the hospital i think - i agree i dont want drugs if it isnt necesssary.

Bit strange how the info varies. Will go ahead and have both the heps and check on the typhoid, tetanus and polio situation ! the kids are probably up to date apart from the heps but i guess me and hubby may be in for a sore arm.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confusing info about jabs needed for Sharm ???

I am a nurse and I have been to Sharm without any inoculations that I felt were not necessary.I have been to Mexico,Morocco,Dom Rep,Indian ocean as well as Turkey loads of times,all places where they recommend innoculations, and have been fine.I am covered for Tetanus,Polio and Diptheria.I cant have any hep jabs because of a medical condition.Sharm itself is a clean resort and if you choose your hotel carefully you will be fine.I have only been ill in Devon!I am very very particular about hand washing ,bordering on being obsessive, and am careful what I eat and drink.

If these jabs your doc is insisting you have why are they not compulsory?

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations