We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra Boat or plane?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pontefract
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Petra Boat or plane?

Hi

Back in Sharm at the end of June, we have done the Luxor trip and the Cairo trip on previous visits, and all though I said this time we were gonna just relax, I keep looking at the Petra trip. I have already e-mailed a couple of trip providers in Sharm (you can even haggle by e-mail) for prices, But I may still wait and shop around in Naama Bay, we have done this before so that's not a problem. But what I would really like to know is should we fly or take the boat. I know it will be a long hot tiring day either way, Can anyone who has done the trip offer any advice.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra Boat or plane?

Hi Jay

If you get the plane, you still have a two and a half hour drive, I don't think the boat goes from Sharm, I think maybe Nuiweba, but certainly Taba, so long drives this side and also there's lots of walking to do at Petra. Even by plane, it's a long day, but it's a good flight, approx 55mins.

I would go by plane, it's a fabulous day, well worth it, Petra is a vast site, absolutely super, you won't be sorry.

Also consider the Dead Sea and Jerusalem, only by road, I afraid, but another fabulous trip.

Regards

Barbara

Pontefract
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra Boat or plane?

Thanks Barbarah

I'm leaning towards the plane if we decide to go. Hubby saying it's gonna be too hot at the begining of July, as we've heard there's a fair bit of walking. But when we went to the valley of the kings it was well into the hundreds,and we managed there, with dozens of bottles of water, that was at the begining of September, Is it likely to be the same or worse in Petra.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra Boat or plane?

I went by plane. It's a long day with a lot of walking but it's worth it.

I hear Petra is generally colder than Sharm but it was boiling the day we went.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra Boat or plane?

Hi again

It is usually cooler in Jordan than Sharm, but you have to take into consideration that there are granite mountains around Petra which hold the heat. I went in December, was told it would be a lot cooler than Sharm, so take layers, didn't need them, they were left in the bus. Definitely not as hot as Luxor and like you, I managed there. Take plenty of water, suncream and hats and comfy shoes, there is a lot of walking to do.

Regards

Barbara

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra Boat or plane?

We just returned from our 26 day Egypt and Jordan trip. We flew from Cairo to Amman then took a car to Petra. The drive is 3 hours.

After a 3 nights there we took the car to Aqaba about 1 1/2 hours away and took the high speed ferry to Neweiba. The ferry ride took 2 hrs 55 min but you have to wait another 50 minutes before you are allowed to begin disembarking.

Luggage on the ferry is a problem. Some are required to check their bags and they are loaded into very large bins which are then moved onto the ferry. At your destination you have to wait for the large bins to be moved onto the dock before you can fight for yours. If you are running late you will be told to take yoru own bags onto the boat and into the lower level where cars and other machinery is loaded. It's a massive open area running the length and width of the boat. You find an area which you can remember and simply leave your bags with the hundreds of others. After your dock you run to get your bags and carry them off the boat yourself. The later method will get you away from the dock soonest.

After you leave the dock you have a 3 hour car ride to Sharm.

If we were to do it again we would fly both ways. It is faster and more comfortable. Just for info all announcements made during the ferry ride are in Egyptian or Arabic. Non were made in English.

Gottagocit

6. Re: Petra Boat or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh