We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Telford
4 posts
Save Topic
Jellyfish?

Hi there,

I've read a few posts recently where people have mentioned being stung by jellyfish when snorkelling. I've been to Sharm leter in May before and it was never a problem, is there a season for jellyfish and will it be over soon?

thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
655 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish?

I got back yesterday, i snorkeled at sharks bay several times a day, sometimes there were no jelly fish or so i thought, thats when I got stung, i got 3 stings in total, no big deal really, half a lemon stops the stinging. somedays there were literally thousands of jelly fish, but I didn't get one sting when it was like this, I was blown away with the snorlking so they never put me off, they did tend to show more when it was very windy.

The fish seemed to enjoy them lol !!

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish?

I got back last week and there were alot of small jelly fish at the Sofitel in Na'ama Bay, but I didn't get any stings. Maybe I have a thick skin;-)

England
Level Contributor
620 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish?

I've been snorkeling though lots of those lilac jelly fish and they do not sting, but others do. As I go out for really long snorkels I've purchased a 3mm shortie and it offers great protection against stings, wind, cold etc. If you snorkel loads may be a good idea? Or a rash vest? As a day without a snorkel is a day wasted for me!

June

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish?

Hi Tim

Spill the beans-did you get Diving certified ?

Ian

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish?

Ian,

No I'm afraid I did a trial dive and much as I expected I decided breathing underwater was totally unatural and so didn't continue;-)

My son got his advanced junior and my wife finally completed her open water. I am now officially a dive widower. Lots of laying on beaches and reading books.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish?

Hi Tim

Its not for everyone, but "good on you" for giving it a go.

I remember my very first dive some years ago-I found it an extremely scary experience.

Ian

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish?

Are Jelly fish about in November, we will be going to Sharks Bay.

Julie xx

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish?

We went to Hilton Sharks Bay at the end of Feb and our friend got stung and had an allergic reaction ( he is asmathic ) and ended up in hospital and was let out the following day.

We got stung but nothing to be concerned about it was like a nettle rash here and there but soon disappeared.

We didn't even see the jellyfish and were too busy snorkelling.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish?

I posted my experience on the other post which I'm sure you've probably read - I got stung, but not by the actual jellyfish themselves, but by the toxins they released into the water in big clouds (looks like lots of tiny bubbles). If you do have reaction to a sting then most hotel doctors can give you a corticoid and antihistamine injection. When we went for my friend he said that if some cream didn't clear it up to go back for that. Not sure if there is a season as such, but they are definitely taken with the current so are more common on windy days etc.

scotland
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish?

i was in egypt last year in may and got stung by a jelly fish our tour guy told use that the little jellyfish that you cant see very well sting when you disturb then ( located near corals) however the bigger jelly fish you can spot very eailly dont sting (good ones to play a joke on teriffied people)

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh