We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Hi - was wondering if anyone has been here and can help me with this question. I like snorkelling but also like open areas for swimming where you can put your feet down and tread water without having to worry about colliding with the reef! The middle bit of Naama Bay (around Fayrouz) provides this but want to try somewhere new next time. Does Sharks Bay have areas where you can just swim or is it very reefy & just good for snorkelling ? Thanks if you can help.

Falcon Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris
Elite Diving
Scuba & Snorkeling
Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

I think you could easily have a swim beyond the reef as long as you stayed inside the buoyed area, its pretty deep there so no chance of catching your feet.

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Hi Xarla

I would have to disagree with Nifty. There are not really many open areas for swimming within the buoyed area the reef is really quite extensive. I also found the currents tend to take you towards the reef quite quickly when treading water and you can easily brush against the reef. I can't remember seeing anyone just swimming rather than snorkeling.

The snorkeling is however fantastic.

Anna

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Interesting replies - two different ones! Maybe you went at different times of year - Anna when there was more of a current and Nifty at a calmer time of year? Stayed at the Hyatt in March 2002 and it was hard to swim there as the sea as choppy & drove you onto the reef, but at Sonesta Beach, late April 2001, we had some days when the sea was practically flat and there was good swimming there as well as snorkelling.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

We stayed there this year end of March. One day the sea was too rough even to snorkel, and the vis was all mucked up anyway, hardly anyone in the water. But other days it was perfectly calm, and whilst most people were snorkelling I did see one or two having a swim further out. Now these people could well have been strong swimmers, but I did not particularly feel any pull from the current nearer to the reef, it was easy to navigate around. I'm sorry you ended up with two conflicting answers, does the hotel fit your bill in other ways? If it does then give it a go and I'm sure you will have a fab time.

Alison

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Hi

Just to clarify my earlier post.

When actually snorkeling near the reefs I didn't have any problems with the currents or navigating the reef. I've been in the summer and winter and always found the sea very calm.

I just found that when treading water or generally not looking below water it was easy to drift towards the reef without realising.

Anna

London
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Good question, Im not a very good swimmer at all & was also worried about jumping off the jetty on sharks bay beach when we go in july.

I'm very worried I wont be able to touch the the sea floor....is it like this everywhere where you have to go down a jetty to get in to the sea because of the corals??

I think im going to to need some arm bands lol X X

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Hi - Ideally you wouldnt want to be touching the sea floor as there are blue spotted rays that could be hiding in the sand. I saw 3 whilst snorkeling at Hilton Sharks Bay last year. The red sea has high salinity so you will be more bouyant than in other seas. If you are worried you could wear a 3mm shortie wet suit or have a bouyancy jacket. You will love this hotel it is fab - read my review. Scuba Diva

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Hi Jennie you won't have to jump off the jetty there are steps down, just like getting into a swimming pool (although don't try this if you are wearing flippers!!!!)

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

Important - make sure you bring some walking in the sea shoes! Not to walk on the coral of course, but the sand is very hot and if you do go where you can walk in the sea, it can be a bit rocky and hard on the feet!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Sharks Bay - help needed please

I am quite a strong swimmer so would probably be Ok. Thanks for all your advice!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh