We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heat Rash

kildare
1 post
Save Topic
Heat Rash

Hi we need some advice. Our daughter is suffering from heat rash at the moment at home, she has slight eczema looking for advice as we are due to go to Sharm in July will it be too hot for her she is only 6.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FozzL3
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heat Rash

Hi I always get heat rash so I know how awful it is. In the past I have drank 1 effervescent vitamins c tablet every day and start drinking them two weeks before I go. I also take antihistamines tablets. Although I am an adult so you would have to seek guidance on dosages from you G.P.

Having said that I have just recently returned from Egypt and it is the 1st time I've never got a heat rash. Don't know if it because of the dry heat.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
black country
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heat Rash

hiya, we got bsack from sharm fri morn, take plenty of anti histamean creams!! its hot hot hot!!!!!! and according to the locals june july aug very very hot!!! friends we made 1 has asbestos skin lol, and she couldnt stay out in it and she came out in heat rash, its not like spain or greece!!! i myself am a sun worshiper and couldnt sunbathe for vry long, also last monday nite i wore a skirt and forgot to put my mozzy spray on up till then i hadnt been bit!!!! i look like ive got measles the bottom of my legs are covered and i mean from foot to knee and they kill,my own fault, but along as your careful your daughter should be ok, very high factor creams 50+,and plenty of water. have a great holiday xxxx

jenilou xxxx

manchester
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heat Rash

hi, id read just yesterday about some one suffering the same thing in my take a break magazine they recommended piz buin in-sun oil free spray she says for first time in years she can sit in sun with no itching? worth a try? my sister suffers terrible with it ive never seen anyone so bad so ive told her to! at moment where i live in superdrug they have a buy one get one free on piz buin at moment it says it costs around £13.99 for factor 15 and £15.99 factor 30 hope this helps, tracy

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heat Rash

Hi, don't use suntan lotion that says it is waterproof as it traps the heat and doesn't allow it to escape. You are ok with water resistant lotion.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heat Rash

Last septmeber I spent my week shade bathing as it was so hot. I got heat rash on my legs and it was awful. This was the first time i've ever suffered it and i reckon it was probably down to the suncream i was using.

With regards to your daughter - please make sure she drinks lots and lots of water and slather her in the hjighest factor you can find. The last thing you need is a poorly 6 yr old on your hands. Might be worth visiting a pharmacy as soon as you arrive and buying some antinal. That way you'll be able to take it immediately should you (god forbid!!) require it. Hope you have a fab holiday x

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heat Rash

Piz Buin do an anti allergy suncream. I used it last year and didn't get heat rash (I did the year before). I also take hayfever tablets for 2 weeks before I go on holiday and have some anti-histamine cream just incase. As others have said just make sure you use the highest factor suncream on her and try and keep her in the shade during the hottest period of the day (I know that's not always possible with kids though).

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heat Rash

Hi, Back just over a week now. A girl I met there had terrible heat rash and someone told her to put lemon juice on it? Not sure if it would work, sounds like it might be very sore. Anyone heard of this one?

Def rec getting Antinel, I had dodgy tummy for two days and nothing else worked at all. It gets rid of it pretty much immediately. Not sure re dose for children so check first.

Take water spray with you too, the one that cools you off from boots (sorry cannot remember name) but is is spec for heat rash and they do sensitive skin one. I use it all the time.

For bites take small bite stick from Boots, you just dab it on and it takes away itching etc.

Had a wonderful time, hope you do to. x

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
334 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heat Rash

My hubby suffers terrible from heat rash , the only thing we found to work is a good antihistamine and he got a really good steroid cream called dexalocal in Greece which is great but I would advise you to ask a pharmacist because of the little ones age, going in July ourselves so never know might bump into you, hope you have good one anyhow.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heat Rash

My son has slight eczema and I always use Simple sun lotion for kids FC 50. It is for allergy prone skin but is also really water resistant.

He always wears protective sun shorts/top aswell which helps.

Jo

Feltham, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heat Rash

My friend suffers from Prickly heat really bad, whilst in Egypt last month it was the 1st time ever she has not come up in it. It s avery dry heat and not sweaty at all. We were both amazed at how her skin coped.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa