We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Prices

Portsmouth
9 posts
Save Topic
Food Prices

Hi

I am going to Sharm el sheikh on Sunday and i am just wondering about how much spending monday to take. We are planning to go to the pyripids on the coach which i have heard is about £50.00 but the rest of the time we are planning to stay in Sharm. Is the food out there expencive? Should i take pounds with me or change them to EGP??

Claire

Epsom
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Prices

Hi Claire

It does depend on a number of things:

1) What board bases are you ( food is pretty cheap in Sharm all the restaurants compete with each other so prices are good.

2) How much you like drinking ( if not on AI it can all start adding up)

3) Number of trips you do.

Tip: buy your bottles of water in the supermarkets are take into your hotel, will save you some money.

Darryl

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Prices

Are you going for a week or a fortnight, are you a couple or a family of four ? As you ask about food costs I am assuming that you are not AI.

On another post someone mentioned spending 1400 pounds, but I think that was over a fortnight and for a family. So if their are two of you I would half that to 700 pounds. Thak a samll amount of LE for the first day and the rest in Sterling to change into LE when yu get there as you will get a marginally better excange rate than if you change it all up here at M&S or the Post Office.

If you eat out all the time you will need to pay for everything in LE. Most or possibly all bars and resturants add 22% to your bill, which is tax and a service charge (ie the tip) this catches loads of people out making them think things are cheaper that they actually that is until they get their bill.

Hope this helps a bit. Have a great holiday, its a good place to go for a bit of R & R.

Titania

Portsmouth
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Prices

I am going for a week with my partner. Were not massive drinkers. We were not planning to do that many trips apart from the pyramids as we want a bit of a lazy holiday.

Were staying in the Marriott Sharm El Sheikh on B&B board.

Think that answers your questions.Thanks for all your help.

london
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Prices

It was me who spent 1400 on food and drink alone and that was for 2 weeks but only for 2 of us.

We found the food and drink expensive. Actually it is more the drink. That £1400 got us one lunch (we shared one as too hot to have one each) and dinner which was mostly 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 drinks each.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Prices

Hi Calirejayne.

We are going on Sunday too!!! Are you on the 12.30 lgw flight?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Prices

Hi grest choice - we love the Marriott. They have a bakery on the mountainside where you can get baquettes for around £2. Average cost of lunch at the pool restaurant will be about £5. They sell pizzas, burgers, steak, chicken, wraps, salads, fish etc. Water was 12le a large bottle and about the same for cans of coke etc. The supermarkets will be cheaper - 30p can coke, 20p bottle of water. Lager was ( from memory ) £2.50 a bottle which is moreorless a pint. Tae and coffee was about £1.70. You can help yourself to free tea and coffee in the morning in the lobby and take out to the pool as they supply disposable cups ( safety ) but you can have a china cup and saucer as well.

The Kona Kai restaurant here is fab and you can get a set meal for around £18 each upwards. They have a beach restaurant that has a good variety. I had the grilled salmon salad and it was lovely and was about £5. Their Italian also here is reasonable as well. Pasta dishes under £4, pizza the same and dishes such as chicken in sauces with all veg etc under £7.

In Naama you can get fillet steak with chips / pots and veg for around £6. Drinks will be cheaper than the hotels.

Portsmouth
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Prices

No were on the 7:30 one i think. Are you staying at the Marriott? Thats really wierd were both from Portsmouth and going there!! Were in portsmouth do you live??

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Prices

Sorry I spelt your name wrong!

Take £ and change while over there.

If you are B&B you won't need lunch, if you choose wisely you will get an evening meal for between £10 and £20 each night. Make sure you tell the people outside the restaurants that you hav been offered tax free from somewhere else, then they will match it, (you can try saing you hvae been offered free drinks too)!

If you are having fish make sure you agree a price before you agree to order or they will sting you at the end.

Its the drinks that are the expensive bit, if you steer away from the big named bars you will find the food very affordable.

Have a fabulous time. Maybe we'll see you when we are out there.

Anna-Louise

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Prices

We live in Baffins.

There are 4 of us going, myself, my boyfriend and 2 male friends. Wea re all in our 30's. My partner and I have been to Eyypt a number of times and love it!!!

Is it your frst time?

There are a few of us meeting on the Saturday night in Pacha - fancy joining us?

Portsmouth
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Prices

Is that in Egypt? Im not sure which day we are going to the pyrimids yet so i dont want to maek any definate plans and let you down. Which hotel are you staying in? We have never been before and only being 21 its a bit scary cos its so different. Cant wait to go tho!!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh