We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

cheshire
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

We read the reviews.We drank Actimel before going and took pre and pro biotics while there.We avoided ice,salads etc. We were careful in the sun and with the booze.We always washed our hands and took along gel just incase and still we were ill. Luckily once we started Antinal it didnt spoil the Hol but My Brother and Wife due home tonight have lost a week of their hol due to this problem.There must be someone out there who can explain why everyone seems to be ill when most of us have been to other hot countries and being fine.Sorry its so long but we would love to return but the risk of having our hol ruined is too high.So any Dr out there please solve the mystery.

andover, england
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

Linda, we went a couple of weeks ago and had the same experience. As you did we followed all the advice, took the recommended medication before going, used handwipes, avoided salads and ice, but still suffered. We had to take Antinal while there to relieve the worst of the symptons but we all had the "trots" for the whole two weeks. We've been back nearly a week and my stepson and I are still ill. Who knows the cause? - I can't help but think it's a dirty resort/country and you'll suffer healthwise no matter what precautions you take.

It's such a shame because otherwise we had a great holiday. However I won't go back to Egypt again as I'm not prepared to endure sickness during and after my hard earned holiday.

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

I think sometimes it just comes down to each person's body. My travel buddy was much more careful than I was and she was ill/uncomfortable, to some degree, pretty much the entire time. I had ice cream, milk, ice a few times and am not a fan of antibac gel as it makes me feel like I need to go wash my hands. I was perfectly fine. I had a slight rumbling once after I ate a local brand of potato chips but nothing major. I think sometimes too much prepping doesn't do you any good either...but I'm not a doctor. :-)

TB08

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

We have been loads of times and eaten and drank with no probs. I really think it is down to the extreme heat and air con. I dont gulp cold iced drinks in the day in the heat. When I go into the rooom dont put air con on straight away as the hot and extreme cold dont mix. On Nile cruises everyone was ill. We ate and drank the same but when we spoke to all we found that they all had air con on all night and as soon as they got back from trips and we didnt. We were they only ones not to get ill. Coincidence??? but we defo think it is down to cold aircon / coming out of exreme heat into cold and it upsets the system xx

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

I have bee ill twice before n holiday.You know the sort where your sat on the loo and vomiting at the same time.Once Majarca,once Barcelona and neither had air con.Coincidence?

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

I got done in mexico by a beef burito many years ago and get the mild trots on most visits to sharm plus proper dysentry on one occasion.Apart from mexico(which was pretty instant) the main symptoms appear in me once I have got back to the UK.I agree with a previous poster that some peoples bodies are more resistant to "local" bugs than others.I travelled a lot with my parents all around the world when I was younger and have probably been in contact with some of these "local" bugs before and may have in that case built up a little natural resistance to some of them.I dont hold with the aircon theory at all,the human body is a scientific wonder and I dont think it can be upset by sudden slight temp changes like that.If it could everyone who worked in cold stores or any other air con building would be permenantly ill.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

Hi Linda,

Again, like other responses, I have no answers. I think its a combination of things. I ALWAYS have a couple of 'loose' days when I visit my brother in Spain, but had no problems in Sharm.

I agree with nana26 about the aircon, my son-outlaw had a day in bed, and daughter had a couple of days of not feeling 100%, they had their ac on all night, I didn't.

Change of air, heat, there are so many contributors.

Sorry can't offer any better answers.

Nana

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

6 of us were in sharm in july and 5 of us had the rumbles ma hubby was the one that didint and that was a shock to us as hes ususally the first one to have the turkey trots ( turkey 19years in a row )! as for avoiding it havent a clue what to do on that one but i personnally think its the heat and the fact that we dont drink enough fluids nothing to do with the food,hotel or egyptian hygiene!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
578 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

I totally agree with regards to the air con being a cause for being unwell! Every year i have been on hols all different places I have came down with a sore throat,bad chest & blocked nose etc etc! Only last year after visiting friends at their home did i realise this after one of them was unwell with the same symptoms as me & they told me because it had been so hot that they needed the air con on more & their doc said this was the cause!

So this year in Sharm I had our con on a higher temp than usual & guess what...I was fine the whole 2 weeks :-)

I did still get the upset tum but nothing major like some people i spoke to!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

Hi

We have stayed well, but then we never go in the swimming pools. Splashing around in people's bodily fluids and bacteria from stomach infections-Yuck.

Ian

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please explain how to avoid tummy problems.

regarding the air-con this is the only year i didnt have sore throat ears and a blocked up nose think it was because the air-con unit isnt directly above the bed and circulates round the massive big room!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh