We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"research hotel security" what does this mean????

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
"research hotel security" what does this mean????

The US State Dept. website has tons of scary "best to stay out of Egypt" info on it, and it says to research what security the hotels you choose have in place. It also says to avoid where tourists/foreigners are, but it sounds like all the good hotels are exactly that -- where the foreign tourists are!

What on earth does this "check hotel security" thing mean? Do they mean to call and ask if there are barriers to prevent car bombs, or metal detectors, or what? What sort of security have you all noticed at the hotels in Sharm? And...is the risk really that high? It sounds like half of Britain holiday in Egypt on a regular basis, I can't imagine it could be that dangerous. Then again, I always take gov't travel cautions seriously.

Also, do any of the female travelers there make a point of dressing in caftans and covering up blonde hair? Does that make any difference? I used to live in a heavily Middle-Eastern part of Brussels and found covering my hair helped, but I've read on travel boards that nothing a foreign woman does will keep her from attracting attention. True?

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
571 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

As I`ve only been once to sharm, i`m not that knowlageable on it but someone will be along and answer you I`m sure.

All i know is that the hotel i was in had an up/down barrier and security guards at the entrance and there was always an armed tourist policeman standing outside the main doors of the hotel. So in theory, no scally should be able to walk in off the street.

This was the Kiroseiz btw.

chorley,lancashire
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

The Foreign Office website here has the same warnings about security and avoiding places, think this is a general stance the governments are expressing, the bombings they refer to were back before 2006.

as to second point regarding blonde female, a tourist will attract attention no matter what hair colour, they want tourist money so will hassle all,also worth mentioning is Ramadan is from 2nd sept so if you are travelling then, give more care to attire , both male and female especially if going in or near mosques, the fact that it is Ramadan wont spoil anything especially in hotel complex

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

Hi there

I wouldn't worry about it, there is plenty of security in place, it probably safer than most places now.

Sharm is a tourist place, so full of tourists, but don't forget, they call it the City of Peace, lots of Peace Conferences are held there, your President hasn't long come back from there.

Yes, half of Britain are probably there LOL, as is half of Russia, Italy etc., it's become very popular.

All tourists in Sharm get a lot of attention as they bring money into the country and everyone will want tyou to spend yours in their shop!!!!!

Visit and enjoy.

Regards

barbarah

4. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2008, 16:27
cheshire
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

I agree with barbarah theres plenty of security.We had to pass through a scanner every time we came through Hotel doors.There is no need to dress any different except covering your shoulders and knees on some trips even the men but your rep explains this.They forbid topless bathing but having said that quite a few did.I personally found this disrespectful to the Egyptians.We felt safe at all times and i do think alot of the security is to make us feel safe.You will love it.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

Better having security than none a tall,

this is there for your benefit, and to keep all the nutter's out (bomber's etc)

In today's world, I think this is a good thing, as I'm sure most on this forum will agree

sunbabe

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

Hi,

The Sticky thread at the top of the forum will tell you about security & recommended attire in resort & on trips.

Re: blonde hair - I always seem to attract stares (not always friendly ones from the women!) in towns like Cairo & Alexandria & I said, after last time, that I wll cover my blonde hair in towns, as I felt reeeeaally uncomfy in Alex, especially & was slapped on the arm by a young woman, simply cos of what I respresent (ie a western blonde tourist....in other words, a flooosy!) Whilst this sort of incident doesn't feature regularly on the forum, I didn't appreciate it & don't want to feel like that again, so will have scarf at the ready next time. Different people handle attention in different ways....mine was to begin seeing the "red mist" & want to deck someone! (Hot Celitc blood!)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297555-i9225-k211…

Regards

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

I, too, come from hot Celtic blood, Nephthys! (My last name is English but apparently the family settled in Ireland about 600 years ago). Also, it would just hurt my feeling to be judged a floozy. I think if we do end up booking this trip that I'll have a scarf at the ready.

Glad to hear that the security at hotels does seem real. Thanks all for your replies. My husband and I are very enthusiastic scuba divers, but three of the places on our "dream list" of places to dive are getting the big kibosh due to govt warnings (Egypt and Indonesia for terrorism, and Papua New Guinea because it sounds like crime to the person -- like, with machetes, is not uncommon). Glad to hear that the fears for Egypt seem unfounded, barring of course the unexpected random bus bombing.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

Lol!

My heritage is Scottish who them went to Ireland & settled there, so double whammy for me!

x

10. Re: "research hotel security" what does this mean????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh