We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home-Made Butties for the plane????

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Home-Made Butties for the plane????

Could please somebody out there let us know if we are allowed to take butties made at home onto the plane?????

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

There should be no problem, especially if they charge for meals onboard. depends on the airline. However they tend to be twitchy if you take your own booze. So keep the little 50cl drinks bottles used for soft drinks, etc and fill them up with wine, put them in your resealable plastic bag with all your other liquids, etc. and you will then be fully prepared for a perfect airborne meal.

Buon appetito.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

Hi Sandpat

There's no problem taking food onto the plane, liquid is still the problem, but if you buy in duty free then you can take soft drinks on board. You can take alcohol on, they won't let you drink your own, you have to buy theirs.

Regards

barbarah

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

Didnt want to pay £3.00 for a scabby plane butty, this is the first flight we have been on without an in-flight meal and i know after being up since 2.30am we will be starving by lunchtime!!

I am well chuffed now!!! Oh should i wrap my barmcakes in clingfilm not foil?????

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

That's probably wise!!!!! LOL But have to say I was on and XL flight, no meals, but you could buy sarnies and hot food, it wasn't bad and I didn't think too expensive, having said that, it might be expensive for a family.

sussex
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

we flew with xl last month. We took our own sandwiches and sweets for the kids and cakes. I also bought bottles of soft drink and wter in wh smiths once we were airside. We used clingfilm and a sandwich box and didn't have any problems.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

I wish I'd taken butties! We flew with Thomsonfly with the wonderful Aldo Zilly meals - yeuk, ok if you love stewed cheese! Nasty. No choice at all, cheesy first course, with a cheesy salad, cheese and biscuits and even the dessert had cheese in it! I DONT LIKE CHEESE! The plane stank of it.

Mind you, coming back was equally smelly but I had some emergency munchies in my bag!!

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

Thanks everyone, there is only the two of us but i think why pay the airline more than what we have already paid and plus theres nowt like home made barms with real butter and thick cut ham and home made coleslaw mmmmm yum yum, god i'm starving now!!!!

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

We always take buttys or crusty cobs to be exact and a few packets of crisps but be careful with the crisps, the bags inflate when your up there :) Asda ones are the worse, I opened a packet on the flight in July and the poor woman sitting next to me got showered in crisps. lol

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

It is only alcohol thatyou cannot taken on board and drink, soft drinks and sandwiches are OK. I always take mine as alot of the time they run out and also they are very expensive.

Softail

Cuffley, Herts
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Home-Made Butties for the plane????

We always take buttys or crusty cobs to be exact and a few packets of crisps but be careful with the crisps, the bags inflate when your up there :) Asda ones are the worse, I opened a packet on the flight in July and the poor woman sitting next to me got showered in crisps. lol

Hahaha! This made me laugh...

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh