We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

Any financial boffins out there who can help? I've been doing a bit of digging around to try and find out where I stand on this.

I booked with On The Beach and paid for the whole holiday on my credit card. I thought this meant that, should anything go wrong, I'd be able to get my money back through Section 75 of the law about purchase protection.

However, I THINK I've read that, because the credit card payment was to OTB and not to the actual companies who were providing the flights and accommodation, Section 75 won't apply. Is this correct?

What a nightmare!

sheffield
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

Hi if you call them they will send you the form where you can claim your money back - you are covered

UK
Level Contributor
412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

Cheers for that Tv

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

Hi Liz, I am in the same situation and just phoned my credit card company to try to claim back the accommodation cost, the flights are covered by ATOL, but I had no luck, they say we are not covered as the hotel as not gone bankrupt.

alison

x

Merseyside
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

Hi All,

What a mess this is, i'm too the same not got a clue about what to do, i've been ringing ins, holiday company, but can't get through to any of them, so am i right in thinking, even if you have credit card protection you wont be covered ??

Thanks, Paula x

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

according to my company, if you booked through an online broker rather than a travel agent then your flight is covered but not your hotel

Bloody miserable isnt it

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

What a nightmare for you! my final payment for the hotel was due next Wednesday so at least i could cancel it.

wales
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

good for you Roxy, have you found anything else yet

8. Re: Credit card purchase protection - failed holiday company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh