We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

Can anyone assist or advise on who I should book my excursions with ? Have read some good reports on the trip advisor about sharm excursions but has anyone used there services and how do you go about making payments ? Are looking to do the following excursions: quad bikes sunrise trip / Ras Mohamed by bus / boat trip to tiran

Would appreciate any comments regarding people who have used the services of either first choice or sharm excursions to book their excursions and any comments re the above excursions. Thanks for your help GazzaDevon

London, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

After research I found Fayed Travel, a local operator in Na'ama Bay to be the best value and had two great trips to Tiran and St Catherine's monastery. Trips with UK operators are about twice the price. Fayed travel do all of the trips you are looking at, their prices are open to negotiation and the more trips you do the bigger the discount.

liverpool
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

Hi

Just wanted to say that I have been to Sharm twice now and each time we have done a trip with the local operators. We are going again on 2nd October, but this time we will probably do the First Choice ones, as the people who went on them got more than we did, albeit for a little bit more money.

We did the Sinai desert, camel and bedouin trip and to be honest, i wasnt that impressed and it seemed to very rushed and the locals wanted to get us back as soon as possible.

My brother went on the first choice one and he was gone for ages and they did star gazing in the desert and they had a great evening.

Dont know if this is any help, but just thought that i would let you know our views on local tours.

Regards

Colette

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

Hi,

I wanted to refer you to a previous thread about sharm excursions but can't as it's been removed. It didn't paint a pretty picture, then someone cast doubt on the authenticity of the post, it descended into an arguement & was removed by the mods.

I would never pre-book a trip in any destination; I like to see who I'm dealing with & look at the set-up.

We have recently had several comments on here (again, now removed! Yet I actually think they were worth while & served as a good warning) that the local firms are not that professional. They go to Cairo, buy a well known name & trade as that in Sharm. Don't ask me how / why they get away with it....rules / regs / police are different out there. We do know that the local firms don't have adequate insurance for quads so if you intend to do them plz do arrange risky sports ins for 250cc quads before you go.....even if you intend to book thru Thomson, 1st Choice etc.

Anyone can set up a website & cheap is not always best. When you walk round resort you will be pestered non-stop by local tour ops & will be able to see for yourself that they don't come across as professionals....mainly they are just young men, along with their cousins, brothers,neighbours etc who are from the towns (as there are no locals in Sharm) who are trying to earn money to take home at the end of the month.

You will need a visa to go to Ras Mohammed; it's the only part of Sinai that isn't covered by the Camp David Treaty "throwback".

Wait till you're in resort & see how you feel then.

Regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

P.S. Just want to qualify what I was saying in that some local firms may well be ok....you need to search them out.

Regards

cumbria
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

Hi, Nephthys sorry to cast doubt on your mentioning of Sharm Excursions but we have booked/used them twice over the last twelve months and found no problems at all and found there prices to be as good if not better than the locals trying to sell you trips. Only my opinion.

Regards.

Ian.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

Hi Barrowboy,

No problems :-)

I know that many people will be happy with them & local firms. I just wanted to present another side to the coin.

Some firms will be more capable / professional than others but I still stand by my recommendation to wait till you're there before booking & to judge for yourself how they appear to be.

We booked an excursion with a local firm & everything was fine but our guide for the day was a student just making some extra money to fund his studies.

Regards

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

I have to agree with Nephthys and that's not just DEs sticking together. I can recommend companies I use, there are a couple of companies, I will say, don't touch, there will always be good reasons why.

The point we are making is, not to book before going, there is plenty of choice there and you can still check out the companies that you like the sound of and then book. You will have spoken to the people and asked the relevant questions, such as, does the guide speak good English, is he qualified, will there be mainly Brits on the excursions, this last point doesn't bother me - the last trip I went on was with a bus full of Eastern Europeans - but it might bother others.

Only you know what you are looking for in a trip, money is not necessarilly the main consideration!

Regards

barbarah

newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

me too agree with Nephthys and barbrah

i have heard on tripadvisor that sharm excursions and sharm club both are not licensed

9. Re: sharm excursions or first choice excursions ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh