We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport entery (israeli stamp)

west yorks
5 posts
Save Topic
passport entery (israeli stamp)

i have a british passport but on one of the pages it has an israel visitors stamp from when i went to tel aviv 2007, will i have problems gaining entry to egypt with this stamp or will it be overlooked as i was only in tel aviv as a weekend touist?

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,988 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

Hi Keith

You won't have a problem going into Sharm, I've gone to Israel from Sharm and re-entered. You will though have a problem getting into other Middle Eastern countries, such as Abu Dhab, Dubai etc, you will need to change your passport before going to these places.

For anyone going to Israel, who hasn't been before, place a paper in you passport and ask them to stamp that instead, to save having to replace it.

Regards

barbarah

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

As already mentioned you'll have a problem in other Middle East countries but not going to Sharm.

If going to Syria I'd change it too.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

Hi Keith, my old passport has an Israeli stamp in it and I never had any problems.

manchester
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

Ive never heard of this before. Why would they refuse you entry into any country because of where you have been in the past? They stamped my passport when i went to Bulgaria, surely this wont cause me any problems will it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

There is a "bit" of trouble between the Jews and Arabs Doc...

manchester
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

What has that got 2 do with your average holidaymaker though?

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,988 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

Hi Doc

To certain Middle Eastern countries, Israel doesn't exist and doesn't appear on their maps and unfortunately it doesn't matter whether you agree or not 'rules is rules' whatever he reason! So it's best for people to be aware of the situation to save problems, wouldn't fancy booking a holiday and then not be allowed into the country.

I have to change mine, but may visit Israel once more before changing it, so will wait a while

Regards

barbarah

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

The 60+ years of fighting over geographical and religious differences (although the hostility between the 2 goes back much further) has resulted in both sides being overly suspicious of each other. In Egypt the hostility shown to the Jews isn't openly shown and has been watered down over the years, but in the "more arabic" (it's hard to define, but that's the term other people might refer to as "extremist") countries in the Middle East there is an absolute hatred for Israel and anything connected with it.

The Sinai penninsular was owned by Israel, but was handed back to Egypt in 1979, under the Camp David Accord.

Now isn't the time and place to discuss the conflict in detail though I'm afraid.

I've seen Israelis pulled off of coaches at checkpoints in Sinai and given a proper beating by the police/army and it's not nice at all, but it's not my place to interfere.

To answer though matey, it's got very little to do with the average tourist, but the hatred and hosilities run very deep and the overly suspicious feelings between the 2 may seem silly to some westerners. However, it's not my country to tell them how to do things, I'm just a visitor there and they'll do things their own way.

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

It was only up to a few years ago that you would have trouble travelling between south and north cyprus . You`ll find Turkish residents still cant enter south cyprus.

Doc, you`ll be ok with a stamp from Bulgaria in your passport, I`ve get about 6 in mine.

Funny enough (although not funny for them) I was at Bourgas airport (Bulgaria) 3 years ago when a family of 4, off our flight from Manchester were refused entry into Bulgaria. Their crime ?, they had the same pasports as me and my mrs but theirs said British citizen and not British Subject. You have to be born in the Uk to have a British Subject passport. At the time I didnt even know that there were 2 different passports in the Uk. I do now though.

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport entery (israeli stamp)

The Sinai Peninsula was not owned by Israel. Israel invaded and occupied the peninsula in the 1967 six-day war, ( as they also invaded and occupied the Gaza territory, west bank and Golan heights ), and then, following the 1973 war, handed back the peninsula in stages both before and after the Camp David agreements. The disputes nowadays are between the State of Israel and some of the neighbouring Arab states and technically-speaking there still exists a state of war between some of them, such as Israel and Syria. This means that if you have a stamp from Israel in your passport, you most likely will not be allowed entry into certain Arab countries, such as Syria, Iraq, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Kuwait etc etc , and even some other Islamic non-Arab countries such as Iran, Pakistan, etc etc Likewise, if you have stamps from these countries you may face extra scrutiny at the Israeli border.

You will not face any problems if just travelling between Israel, Egypt and Jordan. Apparantly, the Israeli authorities are not as keen as before on stamping pieces of paper and prefer to enforce normal border regulations and procedures. Certain countries, including the UK, US and Switzerland, allow certain individuals to have two passports to assist when travel is needed to both Israel and Arab coutries.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations