We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

One of our party sprained her ankle 4 weeks ago and is unfortunately still on crutches.

We fly to Sharm in 12 days time, does anyone know if it's ok to fly? Only we recently heard that someone was refused as they had a sprained ankle which was still swollen.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

Hi,

Has her GP said it's ok?

I flew from Luxor to Sharm 2 days after my accident in Luxor & also flew home 1 week after it, on crutches. The Cairo Dr didn't really want me to as they weren't sure if there was a fracture but said that even if there was, I would be ok, altho it may be irritated by the flight.

It wasn't broken, one bone had temporarily dislocated & gone back in by itself, one torn ligament, 1 partly torn, very, very swollen & bleeding in the bone as well as around the joint.

Yes, it was def irritated by the flight. I had wheelchair assisistance at Cairo & Heathrow.

Regards

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

Hi Nephthys

Thanks for your reply

Ouch your injury sounds very painful, my friends is'nt as bad as that! She can walk around on one crutch but is more comfortable on 2, she hasn't been to the Dr's but went to see a physio a couple of weeks ago who said she should be ok.

It was just after hearing the story of someone being refused to fly that we got concerned.

Thanks again.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

Hi,

No-one questioned me on the internal flight or the flight home. I was wearing long trousers & MBT trainers, so they couldn't tell if it was swollen / bandaged etc(& on 2 crutches).

I'm 10.5 weeks post accident & still wrap a cold gel pad round it some evenings; got mine from my physio. Your friend may want to consider taking one as the heat may well make it swell.

I had some over the counter anti-inflamm cream out there called Ketoprofen & that was great as is an Aloe Vera deep heat type one (not from the Dr or pharmacy there)

Regards

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

Thanks for the tips

It's not swollen now so shouldn't be a problem, think it's worth taking a gel pack in case it's needed.

Can I ask how you hurt your foot?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

:-)

Excerpt from the Neph on Tour thread:

DAY 7: MONDAY 26th JANUARY ~ COLOSSI OF MEMNON, V.O.Q., V.O.K., MEDINET HABU, LEAVE CRUISE BOAT & CHECK IN AT SWISS HOTEL, LUXOR.

The fateful day :-(

Had breakfast, as usual; had absentmindedly put my bum-bag next to one group member but went to sit round the other side of the table when someone else called across to ask me something. This was to be my undoing.

I left the restaurant in a bit of rush, wondering where my bum-bag was as it contained my passport. I was certain that I’d brought it down to breakfast but needed to check the room…………….

It wasn’t in the room, so I rushed down the stairs, concerned that I was going to hold everyone up over checking out. A couple of the workers looked a bit concerned at my speed & then it was all over…………

I misplaced my foot on a step near the bottom & twisted my right ankle. I didn't fall, rather stumbled down the remaining stairs & lay prone on the cold floor....(needed to be cold as I was having the Mother of all Hot Flushes by now) It felt like I was giving birth thru my ankle. I remember lots of men surrounding me (nice!) but wasn't in the mood to appreciate it. I also remember grabbing the leg of Omar, the Egyptologist, who was rather close as he peered over at me, as I snarled, thru gritted teeth, "Don't move!"

"I'm not, I'm not!" he shrieked, as if he had a choice! He probably still has my finger prints embedded into his calf!

I knew that I’d felt something move & it wasn’t the earth! It was something over the outer ankle bone. Didn’t feel like a broken bone tho; maybe a ligament tear?

Two group members (nurses) tried to help & stopped any of the staff trying to move me out of the way. Someone found my bum-bag & I was reunited with it, still in the prone position!

After what seemed like ages, they got some ice & I managed to hobble off the boat; with help from 2 more group members. I obviously released Omar at some point! (end quote)

So, it was a moment of madness!

Progress is good, better then predicted but it will never be normal.

Regards

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

Oh my that does sound painful!

My friend hurt hers by falling down the stairs too...but with her son on top of her! He got away with it unscathed luckily.

Thought yours might have been more exotic like falling off a camel, just goes to show, wherever you are in the world you can always fall down the stairs.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

I hope your friend is able to get around ok & enjoys her time. It's surprising how sheer determination takes over & you do push your self a bit, as did i. My consultant said that I hadn't done any lasting damage by coping as I did, but just slowed it down a bit. If your friend's ankle isn't swollen now then she is doing quite well, but I find that the crutches are a useful deterant & advise her to take them. People def get out of your way more & are more space-aware, as in not stumbling / pushing around you if you have the visual aid. If you just limp a bit, they don't have as much sympathy! I had pretty red ribbons on mine :-) Oyur group had all put red ribbons on the hand luggage so we'd know each other, at Heathrow, so we thought the crutches should match.

Your friend will be glad of them on any uneven ground too. She may want to wear a tubagrip on the plane but I'm sure her physio will advise her about that.

Regards

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

My friend has read your posts and has decided to take her crutches after all, she was trying to be crutch-free in time but is relieved she can now take them.

Tubagrip is another thing we didn't think of, so will be buying.

Can you tell me how busy Sharm airport gets? Does it depend on the day and will we be standing around waiting for hours?

We don't need a visa as won't be venturing out of Sharm.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

It can be very busy & a bit chaotic; hard to predict. We have seen it very quiet too. It's not a very big place compared to some of our airports.

We didn't want a visa on our Dec trip but the officials were being pedantic & still made us queue to tell the reps desk staff that we didn't want a visa (hubby's patience was wearing very thin!)Even tho it was our 5th visit, they still insisted we did as they asked, yet other times, you can go straight thru to passport control & to collect the baggage.

Regards

Hull UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sprained ankle ... Ok to Fly??

I would be getting that ankle checked again if she is still on crutches after all those weeks.

I was in A&E with my Son (24)2 days ago who has badly sprained his ankle playing football, the Doctor told him no sports for 2 weeks, 2 days later he is load bearing but hobbling.

I have also sprained my ankle many moons ago and by 4 weeks was well recovered.

I don't want to sound negative here, but 4 weeks and still on crutches with a sprained ankle is a very long time.

I hope your holiday goes well.

I fly out Tomorrow and can't wait.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh