We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

Hi Everyone,

My m-i-l went to egypt about 4 years ago and has told me that there was a hole in the wall to insert key card once in room to activate the electrics, So not to leave any of my devices charging in the day when we are out as they wont charge or wedge something in the hole to keep elec on....Is this the norm? We are going to The nubian village at the end of may say any info would be great. To be honest I got confused in the end...( not surprising for me)

Thanks

Georgina

1. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2010, 16:50
uk
Level Contributor
472 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

Yes this is true in most hotels. Just take a old card ie bank card or something similar and put it in the slot. This works just the same as the key card. Towel cards work as well.This will also keep the air con on ,so it is nice and cool when you return later in the day.

Worcester
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

ooopps!!!!!!!!!! Shows I havent been abroad for 8 yrs.... I have nearly forgotten what a plane looks like. Cant wait!!!!!!!

4. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
883 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

sorry to disagree with previous post , but you can`t always use a spare store card etc. some of the hotels have now got coded cards that will only operate with your room card .

we just charge stuff up overnight , & take 2 lots of batteries etc.

HTH kathy

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

I`ve got a real beef about this . I know people do it but my question is WHY ?

If this was your own house , would you go out and leave stuff running while you were out. I never used to be energy concious but I am now and this practice is a sheer waste of energy.

The aircon is fairly good in the hotels so it will only take minutes to cool the room when you come back in.

Another thing people do that is annoying is, have the aircon on and then open the doors to the balcony, although, many hotels have stopped that by putting sensors on the doors that wont allow the aircon to run while the doors are open.

If you want to charge phones and cameras, plug them in when you are asleep.

7. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

Worcester
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

Thanks for your help and I will try and charge everything at night if this system is in operation. You are right I dont leave stuff running at home when out.

porthcawl uk
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

what difference if charging cameras or phones at night or in the day ??? still using the same eletric !!!!!!

sharm el sheikh
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sockets in the bedrooms- operated by key card???

Hotels do it for environmental reasons. It is a fact (a sad one) that even people who are conscious of conserving power in their own homes are far less inclined to do so while on holiday.

In the days before power saver cards many travellers would leave their air conditioning units or the lights in their room running non stop, even when they were not in them. I guess when you aren't picking up the power bill its less of a concern, but this is the reason that power savers came to exist in hotels.

I am sure we can all agree that conserving energy is for the best so I can not imagine why power savers in hotel rooms would bother somebody.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh