We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa

London, England
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
visa

can anyone tell me if you have to pay for a visa when you arrive at sharm, or if you pay when you leave or if you have to pay anything at all!!!

thanks

Bucks
Level Contributor
473 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa

Hey,

You will only have to pay for a visa if you are going to be going out of the sharm area during your stay e.g. Cairo etc. If you do require a visa this will need to be paid for once your flight has landed at the sharm el sheikh :) hope this is helpful

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,007 posts
1,794 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa

Do not pay for a visa if you only are going to stay in Sharm.

Even if you are directed to the visa booth, insist that you are staying in Sharm only and go to the immigration line.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa

As above, you don't need a visa if you're staying in the Sharm area.. We got one (and its big) when we went in February.. but I did read that you do need one if your diving in Sharm though ?

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa

I'm going with my family to Sharm for the 1.st time this summer. I'm travelling from CPH,Denmark, using a danish travelagency.

I was under the impression from their rep. that we were obligated to buy visas. I did'nt think twice about it, as I've experienced the same thing earlier in Pakistan, and thought it was the same.

So I bought 4 visas for us for a price of 150 dkr. each!! I was under the impression that this was the normal price. Now I know better, so next time we're going (if), we'll buy it on arrivel in the right booth.

It's not a nice feeling that one have inside, when you find out that you have been "scammed".

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa

JensenDK, if you are only staying in the Sharm area for which you do not need a visa, I would suggest that you contact your travel agency and demand your visa fees be returned as they have sold you visas which are totally unnecessary. I am sure your local newspaper would be keen to print a letter from you outlining how you have been sold unnecessary visas by the travel agency.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa

Hi,

I agree with westlondoner; ask for your money back! We get stories on here about UK travel agents doing that too.

I don't know what that amount is in UK money as am not familiar with the exchange rate but it's the principle as well.

REMINDER: Visas are required for some dive sites, including Ras Mohammed, trips to Ras Mohammed by boat, car, bus, Cairo & Luxor.Ras Mo is in the Sinai region but isn't covered by the waiver. Not all officials on Ras Mo boat trips do ask to see the visa but do you want to be the one who gets caught out & turned back? (rhetorical question).We do have folk post on here that they did have to show visas.

If you're staying within the Sinai peninsualr for 14 days or less you do not need a visa & write "Sinai only" on the landing card that you are given on the plane. There is not particular space to write it, just stick it anywhere.

CORRECT VISA PRICES:

Reps will try & steer you to their desk where you will be given a visa that is stuck in your passport. You then pay for it on the coach that is taking you to your hotel. Reps prices ar currently £13 or $18.

If you wriggle free of the reps & go to one of the 2 desks that flank the reps desk, with dollar signs on, you can hand over $15 (which is what all visas say on them, regardless of whether the rep has given it you) or hand over £15 sterling & get change (for about £4) in local currency.

Regards

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa

Thanks for your advices. I think that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Even though We might go for some trips, the 15 dollar-booths are much cheaper.

Todays currency(from the National Danish Treasury)

150 Dkr = 26,78 US$

150 Dkr = 17,94 GB£

150 Dkr = 149,66 EG£

So as You can see, I've been scammed even BEFORE entering Egypt - from my fellow danish inbreeds!!!

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa

95% of the dive sites do not require the visa.As a basic rule of thumb any dive sites west of Travco jetty just past the old market/El maya bay area require the visa,everything to the north(including the reefs of Tiran) do not.Whatever the reps may tell you,and they will try.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa

JensenDK

Go back to this rip off travel agency and demand you get your money returned as they gave you misleding information and you will bring in the media to warn after would be travellers of the scam they are operating

you can get your visa's if required at sharm airport on arrival for $15 each

sunbabe

10. Re: visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 04:35
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh