We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring car with a driver

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring car with a driver

We're soon going to Sharm and Egypt for the 1.st time. Going through the "Tips for 1.st-timers" I read this:

On 6th Dec ’07, MrSmall wrote:, “The condition of the main roads is actually pretty good. I would not recommend hiring a car if you are going to drive it yourself but there is a new place that has just opened up at the new aqua park called New Castle car rental. They are hiring out cars, with a driver, for 70 Euros a week. I popped in to ask them a few questions and they said that the deal was for anywhere in Sharm including pick up and drop off at the airport (ideal if you are there for a week). Email is newcastle2002@hotmail.com”.

Has anyone tried this or anything similar? Do you have an adress for thir website/email?

I found this:

http://newcastle-egypt.com/oferty-specjalne/

But it does'nt seem to work.

I'm very interested in hearing about poeples experience with this, as it seems an OK alternative to all the taxihaggling, especially if one are driving around a lot.

Are there anything I should be specially aware about regarding to this? Does it include if You wanna go to Ras Mo or Sinai Mountain, or do I have to pay extra, and how much?

Thanks in advance....

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring car with a driver

I found this on the Egyptian Property Forum.

Below is the taxi and minibus rates that are displayed in various locations around town. Sharm cabs dont use meters. These tariffs specify how much you should pay for each journey. They will try to charge you at least double but you can always take this with you or take a picture of the tariff on your mobiles and show them. Also ask to see the set tariff that should be displayed in their taxi ( very rare that it is ) ALWAYS agree the price 1st and stipulate that the payment is in Egyptian and not English pounds and is per car not person cos they will try that on.

The white taxis are cheaper than the blue.

I don't mind paying what I feel is fair but don't like getting ripped of so this will guide you to what you should pay.

Downtown is the Old Market coming out of Hadaba down the hill.

TARIFF

From To

Minibus LE 1 Downtown Naama Bay

“ LE 2 Downtown Airport

“ LE 3 Downtown Nabq

Taxi

white

bonnet LE 15 Naama Bay Downtown

“ LE 15 Naama Bay Hadaba

“ LE 20 Naama Bay Airport

“ LE 15 Downtown Hadaba

“ LE 40 Downtown Airport

“ LE 45 Downtown Nabq

Taxi

blue

bonnet LE 25 Naama Bay Downtown

“ LE 25 Naama Bay Hadaba

“ LE 25 Downtown Hadaba

“ LE 35 Naama Bay Airport

“ LE 45 Downtown Nabq

Hope this helps

If you have problems, note the cab number and say you will report them to the Tourist Police. Their uniform is black with white caps and white anklets. Nobody in the tourist industry wants to be reported to the Tourist Police and with such a promise most problems evaporate.

In summary it is cheaper and easier to use taxis. Once you are at Sharm I doubt if you will use a taxi more than twice a day and at about £2 a trip average I would not bother with any car hire deal

2. Re: Hiring car with a driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:36
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh