We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice.

I'm going to get staying at the St George for Two weeks in June and plan on doing a bit of snorkelling when I'm there.

As I'm going on my own is it safe to go snorkelling at the beach or should I just book a couple of trips to Tiran Island?

It's just I recieved my tickets from TC on Friday and it says not to go swimming in the sea on your own.

As I'm staying at an AI place I won't have much moey on me but would it be safe to leave my stuff on the beach while I'm in the sea?

Also it says that AI finishes at 11am on the day you leave but my flight isn't until later in the day. Are the hotels strict with AI or will I still be able to eat and drink there?

Thanks

Falcon Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris
England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling

Although it is best to snorkel with someone else (incase of any difficulty) if you are a strong swimmer and don't go out too far, I'm sure you will be ok.

Have a little try in the shallows first and see how you get on?

I quite often snorkel alone as one of my friends I go to Sharm with doesn't swim, let alone snorkel!

The water is very salty in Sharm and this really helps you float!

A lot of beaches have staff at the end of their jettys looking out for people stepping on coral/or in any difficulty.

I'm not familiar with the beach that St George's use, but most beaches are safe enough. Just don't take anything too valuable with you and keep it covered.

You could also go on a few boat trips as they are a lovely day out.

If you are planning on getting a visa, the trip to Ras Mohamed national park is also lovely. Its a half day trip and the snorkeling from the beaches is amazing!

Sorry I cant answer your question about the AI, but hopefully someone else can help.

Have a lovely time!

MM x

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling

Hi

The best safety advice I can give is - Buy a pair of fins, even a £10 pair will suffice. Trying to swim against even the slightest current without fins is virtually impossible.

Ian

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling

Good tip Ian, Fins do make a big difference.

I got mine for 50p at a car boot sale & they are great! Bargain!

MM x

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling

Do you guys know where I can get a Snorkel etc when I'm out there? I'd like to try it out on our beach before I go on a day trip. Are they likely to sell things like this in the hotels or town?

Thanks Han

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling

hi on the trips to tiran island and ras mohammed where u can snorkle and stuff, is the water deep where everyone gets off to snorkle? coz im quite scared of deep water but i really wana do some snorkeling, thanks

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling

Thanks for your advice.

I did go to buy a pair of fins this morning but they were so uncomfortable I couldn't wear them.

hampshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling

i there...what three corners are you staying at...im off 2 the kirosiez in june,my 3rd time there..i snorkal alot on there beach,its fantastic..and unless theres a strong off shore wind,creating a current,your be fine..yes you can leave things on the beach,you wont need money anyway,because there a bar and ya food is there also..well,i only go to the kirosiez coral beach,its loverly there.and the ai,my flight is also late in the day,well nite.lol,i think to keep your room on till you go costs about 15quid...i think thats what i paid in march...and no one will check so feel free to tuck in...if you need any more advise,then just message me....im classed as a vip guest now being my 3rd time there...free room upgrade,baskets of fruit and wine on arrival.lol..anyway,dont worry,your be fine

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling

Pompay,

I was thinking of popping over to your hotel at some point during my stay as the beach there seems to be better that St George according to the reviews.

What's the food like there?

Just brought some some Fins so getting excited now to go snorkelling (not that i know how to). Any advice Ian or MM on how to start out snorkelling?

Liversedge, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling

Hi tom4hannah. The water in Ras Mo is very deep in parts but don`t let it worry you we went last year and booked it through the tour operator at the hotel (Thomson in our case). You will be guided with a very experienced diver and provided with a life jacket. Ropes hang off the back of the boat which you can hold on to. I would reccomend this trip to anyone, the coral and fish are fantastic and it`s a day I will never forget.

hampshire
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling

the food is great is great at the kirosiez and at the kirosiez beach..yes the kirosiez beach has a very nice reef,i went in march and saw turtle,blue spotted rays,huge parrot fish,lion fish along with the other species of which there are hundreds.lol...but that was 1st thing in the morning...before the riff raff come along,ha ha..i dont think you would see turtles later during the day with the volume of people in and out of the water...

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh