We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice/cooling spray and DEET

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ice/cooling spray and DEET

Does anybody know if it's possible to buy ice/cooling sprays, like eg. Magicool in pharmacies or sportsstores in Sharm? If yes, what's the approx cost for eg. Magicool Hot Weather Cooling Spray 200ml?

I can get it here for about £5, but I would rather buy it when there, instead of bringing it all the way with me from home.

Does anyone know the price of DEET insect repellant in Sharm? The product are not allowed for sale in Denmark, so I have to get it when I'm there.

Thanks.

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

Deet is just an ingredient in some insect repellants.You will have to look at the contents to see if a particular one has it in.

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

if you buy it there it is stronger and contains deet, try pharmacies away from tourist areas for a better price, not sure on after sun but a good body cream works just as well as it conditions the skin the same way as after sun, just keep it in the fridge to get the cooling down feeling,

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

Can you not get the Magicool from the airport once you have gone into duty free, at least that way you will know the brand rather than waiting to get to sharm and maybe get an inferior product if at all

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

Thanks for the advice.

About the Magicool hot weather cooling spray - I found out that I can get coolingsprays in sportsstores - meant for use on sportsdamage - a lot cheaper than Magicool, and as far as I can tell the same product, just with a not so "fancy" name.

Cairo
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

If you want to keep cool forget Magicool.

I live in Egypt.

Best thing is this and it might sound strange but it does work.

Wear 2 layers for the guys.

A loose cotton tee shirt with a cotton shirt on top. Or a vest under a cotton shirt. There is a reason all middle easterners wear vests ; ) Both layers must be loose, so wear a size bigger than usual. The bottom layer absorbs sweat and because it is loose dries quickly. The top layer moves across the bottom keeping the air moving. You will feel hotter the more skin is exposed to the sunshine. Strange but true.

For women.

Go bra less if small chested and wear a loose cotton vest top under a light cotton loose blouse or kaftan.

A loose cotton vest under a loose nylon top is cooling too, but they should be loose and cover most of the skin area.

If larger breasted wear a cotton bra with wiring and a very loose half sleeved blouse.

Anything that clings will make you sweat.

Both should wear a hat of some kind or a cotton kifaya scarf tied around the head to keep cool.

Drink a lot of water and not much soft drinks which will dehydrate you. Wear good sunglasses.

I have lived here 3 years and never worn any sunscreen. Have a healthy tan but always cover up in the sunshine.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

Hi Jellyfish and thanks for the good advice. Regarding the icespray though, I've allready bought that - 8 cans of 300 ml. each - without freon, I may add. I got it for a very fair price, and I'm sure that We will enjoy the cool breeze - as long as it lasts anyway. It' will probably be used up in a couple of days, but then We should be a little more use to the heat, I hope.

By the way - I'm not sure that many Doctors will agree though, that there is such thing as "a healthy tan". I also fit into the category of poeple who tan very easily and that's nice, but still I wears UV/rash-clothing, and suncream when nescesary, which is every day when I'm in a place like Egypt.

I shall take good notice of Your advice about 2 loose layers over eachother - but You will not see me in those pants with the back touching the ground....lol

7. Re: Ice/cooling spray and DEET

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 05:40