We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innoculations required?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Innoculations required?

Hi everyone,

I plan to contact my GP anyway but can anyone say for sure if there are some innoculations definately required for Sharm el Sheikh, or are they just recommended and it is a personal choice if you want to take them or not?

I know this is a very generic question, as the answer probably depends on each individuals own vaccination history and choice but a general feel from travellers who have been would be much appreciated!

After all it seems that the biggest problem out there is a dodgy tummy and the skits, which I think can be the luck of the draw and only seems to be resolved by local Anital and therefore vaccinations don't prevent this anyway?

One other trivial question is SSH airport. As the alcohol is going to be expensive in our hotel we were thinking of stocking up on a few spirits for our room from duty free but when you arrive at SSH airport do they confiscate it?

Many thanks if you can help?

Charlotte, Edinburgh

scotland
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innoculations required?

Hi

They are recommended,

I got them anyway, thyphoid and hep a, that was

a combined jag. If yours has run out they recommend

tetnus/polio/rubella as well.

I thought it was better safe than sorry

hope this helps

Vicki x

London
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innoculations required?

Am not sure why there is this idea that no alcohol can be brought in to Sharma. The short answer is no, they do not confiscate it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
334 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innoculations required?

We were htere last year with kids and were told by our GP that once we weren't travelling around Egypt we didn't need any jabs we were fine apart from the Sharm shuffle which myself and the hubby got but not the kids Thank God! I think it is a personal choice but speak to your GP .I also know 3 families that go every year just to Sharm and have never had jabs but as I said speak to your own GP who will know your medical back ground which I'd say will play a part of whether to get them or not.....

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innoculations required?

Charlotte check out the tips for first timers thread at the top of the forum list. The vaccinations are not compulsory but are recommended.

Tummy problems are widespread and in all honesty I can't pinpoint it to one particular thing. Some of the things that I do are...

1. Take antibac gel to use after handling money as some are the notes are very dirty!

2. Drink plenty of fluids and try not to have too much alcohol.

3.Beware of the midday sun and use a good high factor cream.

4. Wear a hat.

I have never heard of alcohol being confiscated at SSH airport.

Hope you have a great hol

Karen

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innoculations required?

Hi,

Recommended & not compulsory, as has been said.

Can't see that not travelling around is a good guide not to have jabs as the workers are from all over Egypt & you don't know what their personal hygiene is like.

In case anyone is unsure of how the diseases are spread, here's the extract from the end of the Tips thread (& Cairo Wendy contracted Hep A in Cairo whilst typhoid can be found anywher in the Med & anyone, travelling or not would be sensible to keep teatnus up to date. The jabs are free in most of the UK):

TYPHOID FEVER, also known as enteric fever, bilious fever or Yellow Jack, is an illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi. Common worldwide, it is transmitted by the ingestion of food or water contaminated with faeces from an infected person. The bacteria grows best at 37°C -human body temperature. (Booster every 3 years)

HEPATITIS A is very common in countries with poor sanitary conditions. Most people get infected during trips to less-developed countries or by direct contact with others infected with hepatitis A virus. Hepatitis A virus is present in stools passed by infected persons. It can be transmitted via contaminated food, e.g. shellfish and ice-cream, as well as contaminated water and beverages. The virus can also be spread through contact with an infected person's stools through poor hygiene. Good hygiene reduces the risk of infection. Wash or peel fruits and vegetables during trips to countries with poor sanitary conditions. Unsanitary conditions can allow shellfish to be contaminated by human sewage. (After the initial course, latest info being given is that the boosters are lasting 25 years at least; research is ongoing)

(Whilst Sharm can’t be classed as having poor sanitation, the workers are men from all over Egypt & one can’t be sure of their background or discipline when it comes to personal hygiene; the same as we don’t know anything about fellow guests in the hotels.)

POLIOMYELITIS, often called polio or infantile paralysis, is an acute viral infectious disease spread from person to person, primarily via the faecal-oral route by ingesting contaminated food or water. Poliomyelitis is highly contagious and spreads easily from human-to-human contact. It is occasionally transmitted via the oral-oral route, a mode especially visible in areas with good sanitation and hygiene. (Part of the triple jab with tetanus & diphtheria; boosters last 10 yrs.)

DIPTHERIA is an acute respiratory infection caused by the diphtheria bacterium, Corynebacterium diphtheriae and its toxin. This is a serious infection with a high mortality rate, even in Western Europe. The disease is mainly transmitted by droplets from the nose or throat being passed from person to person, e.g. by coughing or sneezing. Protection from the disease comes from having antibodies in the blood - which is the purpose of vaccination. The bacteria can easily be passed on by a person who shows no sign of illness, a so-called 'healthy disease carrier'. (See NOTE below) Diphtheria can also be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. The bacteria may be found anywhere, but especially in poor or densely populated areas, where some people have not been vaccinated against diphtheria, encouraging the disease to spread.

PLEASE NOTE!! In the early and mid 1990s more than 50,000 people in Russia and the Baltic countries fell ill with diphtheria. (I have no idea if they are now routinely vaccinated against this disease. Boosters last 10 yrs; see Polio)

TETANUS, also known as lockjaw, is a serious but preventable disease that affects the body's muscles and nerves. It typically arises from a skin wound that becomes contaminated by a bacterium called Clostridium tetani, which is often found in soil. Without treatment, tetanus can be fatal. (See Polio – boosters last 10 yrs)

Regards

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innoculations required?

Thanks everyone for all your opinions on vaccinations and all the other advice! I'll see what my GP thinks I need.

Thanks, Charlotte

7. Re: Innoculations required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh