We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you need injections for egypt

leamington spa,uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
do you need injections for egypt

can anyone tell me if i really have to have injections for travelling to egypt please?

Level Contributor
379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you need injections for egypt

I had mine last year and have hust had my booster.

Hep A &B and TYphoid

Level Contributor
1,704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you need injections for egypt

No, you don't NEED to

Level Contributor
2,721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you need injections for egypt

A lot of people ask this and many replies are down the lines of " well ive been and did not have them "

The fact is you only need them if you catch anything and who knows if you will or not NEED them but one thing i will say is that if you do catch anything you will wish to god that you did have them !!!

Its up to you .... take the risk and you may pay the price .

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you need injections for egypt

No,you dont need them.Depends what activities you are thinking of undertaking when there.If you are thinking of swimming in the nile then I would recommend them,just chillin in the sun,then not.Just dont smoke the shisha.

Newhaven, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you need injections for egypt

Injections are only recommended for Egypt - so the choice is yours. If you get them free what's the harm in having them? Personally I wouldn't take the risk because you just never know.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,402 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do you need injections for egypt

RECOMMENDED VACCINATIONS: - None is compulsory but the following are advisable:

Triple vaccine for Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio, (boosters every 10yrs) Most schoolchildren have this when 5 (pre-school booster) & about 15.

Typhoid (boosters every 3yrs) – this can be contracted even in Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.

& Hep A; boosters last up to 25 yrs after initial course (info correct as at Feb ’09)

Some people have Hep B. (Hepatitis B is transmitted via blood & other body fluids. Contaminated needles & hospital equipment can serve as routes for transmission. Cuts and & lesions can also provide a portal of entry. It is also spread through s*xual contact and drug abuse).

MALARIA – not an issue unless you travel to the El Fayoum Oasis region, about 70km southwest of Cairo. Quote from: wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationEgypt.aspx : Malaria risk area in Egypt: “Very limited risk in El Faiyûm area only. No risk in tourist areas, including Nile River cruises. Risk is very limited; therefore, prophylaxis is not recommended.”

More detailed information about the diseases mentioned above is available at the end of all the subjects in the tips thread.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do you need injections for egypt

You might like to check with your insurance company if they will cover you for these illnesses should you choose not to be inoculated and/or vaccinated.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do you need injections for egypt

i have just had two lots of injections as my gp recommended them, i had hep a, typiod,diptheria,tetnus,polio, your doctor will be able to tell you, i only had to pay £8 for them all so it was worth it, beter been safe than sorry

Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: do you need injections for egypt

Ive just had mine and they were completely free. Ill have anything for free so i thought why not?

Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: do you need injections for egypt

I am having my jabs done on Friday

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh