We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

hi

thinking of traveling here for 1 week at the end of nov 09 with my 15 month old baby...

how child friendly is it and is it a safe place to take babies what with the terroist attacks over the years.. ?

i know the UK has a threat of terrorism aswell but theres nothing we can do about that as we live here but dont want to take a holiday somewhere dangerous.. what do you think? also when is the egypt bank holidays as it says most of the attacks happend over the holidays and want to avoid these wekends...

thanks !

Alexandria
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Hi Jane

There is no worry at all from visiting sharm el sheikh with your baby .. It's safe and good place to visit .. I went there over 3 times and my family is there now while im posting this reply .. and as you've said terrorism is everywhere but again don't worry .. Sharm el sheikh is a very beautiful city ..

And for your info. Bank holidays are in Fridays & Saturdays.

Cheers!

John

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Terrorism should be the least of your worries. You're more likely to be killed in a traffic accident driving to the airport in the UK!

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Absolutely safe..... safer than my home town !! The Egyptians absolutely adore babies & children !

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Its as safe as anywhere can be in this day and age. You must be able to tell from the amount of people on this forum talking about their holidays etc that its a popular place, in fact its one of the most popular for Summer 2010 holidays!!!

I can understand your worries, but London has a higher terrorist threat than Egypt. You can see this from our own governments website.

You can stay at home, wrapped it cotton wool, or you can go out and face the world and do things and see things that will enrich your life.

Look at all the high level threats in America, yet this hasn't put off people going there. Same as in London, millions come here.

Also just because most attacks happen over bank holidays doesnt mean the next one will. The next one could be next month or in 20 years.

You only have to look at Spain and all the problems with ETA to realise that it can happen ANYWHERE!!

If you want to go to Sharm, try not to worry!

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Hi

As the terrorism thing has been covered, i'll leave that.

Child friendly, i will admit i was shocked at the way the locals and hotel staff treated my 11 month old daughter. They fussed over her to the point that she would hold her arms out to them to be held!!!!. I was totally taken aback as she didn't usually do that sort of thing. In our hotel they would hold her whilst we got the food, keep her occupied, for some reason she was entranced. i can honestly say you will not have any problems on that score, they genuinely love children.

Ray

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Loving the new piccy Ray :-) lol!!!

coventry
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

Hi Jane

You don't really think you will get a unbiased objective answer to the safety issue on a holiday forum full of Sharm fans do you ?

All i will say is that anybody that classes Egypt as absolutely safe or even safe is living in cuckoo land !

It is officially classed as having a high risk of terrorist threat and yes before anybody jumps down my throat so does London amongst many other places in the world .

Having said this it doesn't stop me from going but i am certainly aware that there is a risk involved so to me safe is not a word you can use when describing Egypt !

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

We are going again very soon for the 3rd time,Yes we love it but have to say only go into Naama bay once or twice as I am worried about terrorism.Yes they can strike anywhere but my husband is not happy there.We were there not long after the bomb and to see that hotel was awful.

But like other people say it can happen anywhere and I am a bit of a worrier when the kids are involved.

Sharm is such a lovely place and again we return.

Mel

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

I think it your own perception that is at the heart and must guide you to your choice of holiday. I feel at higher risk in London than I have ever felt at Sharm. The London risk to me is the apparent high incidence of criminal activity, when I worked in Westminster area it was not unusual to pass police notices asking for witnesses to armed robberies, serious assaults and murders. I feel in Sharm that the high level of police activity is likely to reduce the chance of being the victim of a criminal assault.

To me terrorism risk at present is about the same as in many other countries so I do not give it any more thought than I would in UK.

uk
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is sharm al sheikh safe to visit

hiya

thanks to all your replies.. iam still in two minds...

dont know whether to opt for the safe option of the canary islands as need to sunny place in november and thats the only place apart from egypt that seems to be sunny at that time of year or just go for it and enjoy the wonderful 5 star hotels and beaches of egypt.. the deals on some of the 5 star hotels are amazing.. the ritz for £1200 in total for half board...wow !

its tempting but i dont want to be on edge the whole time....if it was just me and my partner we would just go but taking a baby into a country thats high risk when we could just easily go to canary islands or cyprus or somewhere i dont know if its a bit irresponsible !

x

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh