We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money!

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Topic
Money!

What is all this about using US dollars? what happened to the Egyptian Pound?

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money!

Some people like to tip in $'s as they say they struggle to get small EP's to tip. You can use most currencies there(watch the rate convert given though!) but the Egyptian Pound will always be the currency to use if you can;-)

chorley,lancashire
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money!

we have changed around £100 into 1$ bills, we got i think around 180USD to pay for the visas and tips for 2 of us and what ever is left will either be used at duty free on way home or brought back for next trip, as $1 is around 60p it is much cheaper for tips than a £1 coin as small notes are like hens teeth to get hold of both here and in resort as they want you to only have large bills so they say sorry no change and keep the large note, got caught out first trip but never again.

essex
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money!

lobbysue

So you are saying it is best to tip with dollars? but is using egyptian pound fine at any other time.

I am going for 2 weeks so how much english would you say I need to change up for tips?

chorley,lancashire
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money!

this is only my opinion, others will no doubt differ.

first time we went we tipped everyone in £1 coins and got asked to change them back to paper sterling notes, we didnt mind, but they always tried to give you £18.50 ish for a £20note, always had excuse, oh rest of money was in room , friend not brought his money etc etc, so they were getting yet another tip, first time never even noticed as he gave me a clear bank bag filled with 50p's and £1 coins, talk about sucker written in arabic on my head lol. but after that we always have got dollars, okay exchange rate not the best but i would rather give a $1 bill note as tip, (60p max) and not get asked to change money to english, we always said if asked to change money to english notes sorry no english just dollars. the EP smaller notes were not plentiful, the supermarket for example would say 40EP for an item, but if you gave them a 200EP note they never had small notes for your change and gave you just 150EP change, ok not bank breaking but still a cheek, if you do get hold of small note hold onto them like glue for tips

Cairo
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money!

When you tip in sterling coinage the banks will not exchange them into another currency. They are actually useless to Egyptians.

You will find Egyptians desperately trying to change them into notes so they can use the money.

DO NOT give coins as a tip please.

Rule of tipping is this.

If you tip 1 sterling in the UK for a service then you should tip 1 LE in Egypt.

If you are tipping him 10 Le you are in fact giving him the equivalent of 10 sterling.

If you are tipping out of proportion that just reinforces the idea to an Egyptian that tourists are very wealthy when they can afford to tip the equivalent of 10 sterling for someone to carry a bag to your car. That will encourage greed and hassle to get more from you because they think you have money to burn, to give away.

Always try to pay in LE and insist they go and get change for big notes. If they refuse then tell them they can come back tomorrow to get paid and you'd be surprised how quickly they get change then ; )

Cairo
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money!

Really you are being taken for a ride here!!!

There is no shortage of small notes in Egypt anywhere!!

He is trying it on with you.

Simply walk out the shop or ask him to go next door to get change but NEVER fall for this con trick!!!

Granted some shops will give you a Chiclet if they have no 25pstr coin, as Chiclets are always on the counter for this reason or a Halls mint. But every shopkeeper has plenty small change ; )

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,973 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money!

Hi there

I've never had a problem. I take sterling and change it there, if I haven't any LEs left from the last holiday, I will tip the first couple of tips in £ coins until I change money, they may give you larger notes at the bank, but you won't have a problem getting small notes at the shops they always have plenty.

Regards

barbarah

8. Re: Money!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2009, 00:40
sicily
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Money!

when changing money yest for aug trip apart from only being able to get £100 in ep (none left at thomas cooks) i was advised to take about £20 in 1 dollar bills (about 60p) to use for tipping..........

10. Re: Money!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh