We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving

Help, can anyone recommend a diving company in Sharm that might help me get me over my fear.

Did a Discover Scuba dive in Mexico last year and loved it, so booked to do PADI Open Water here earlier this month. Unfortunately, although I just about managed the confined dives and passed all the theory, I lost my nerve going down for the open water dives. Don't really know why, perhaps really poor visability,just know I panicked big time and tried to bolt to the surface. However, I would love to get over this fear whilst on holiday so that I can then dive with my husband who did pass his open water.

Beaconsfield...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving

Hi emstan3,

Emperor divers...great dive operation :o)

www.emperordivers.com

Good luck!

Scuba Diva

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving

The water at Sharm is crystal clear and visibility is excellent, so that problem should be resolved. Remember diving is one of the idlest sports, because the slower and gentler you swim underwater the longer your air lasts. At 18 metres (60 feet) your tank should last about 50 minutes. If you do panic, signal your buddy and indicate "not happy" (flat horizontal hand movement) and your buddy will reassure you. So long as you keep breathing slowly and steadily you should have no problems.

It's a great place to learn to dive.

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving

My hubby is P.A.D.I. qualified....so last Sept whilst in Naama Bay I decided I was going to have a go. I love the water, love to snorkel.... so thought it would be a doddle!

Well wasn't I surprised.... after getting my suit on and then the oxygen tank on my back - the nerve set in..... by the time I got into the water my mouth was soooo dry I couldn't even muster up any spit into my mask :-(

I take my hat off to my instructor who was so calming towards me, that he coaxed me into and under the water - taking it all a tiny step at a time..... so I still got to dive and see the reef I'd snorkled around so many times.... He made me stand on the bottom of the sea and just watch all the fab colourful fish swimming around me.......

So I would most certainly recommend Red Sea Divers who are based immediately behind Viva Beach in Naama Bay. I swear my instructor could have cheerfully drowned me....... but he didn't!!

4. Re: Scuba diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 07:25
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh