We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luxor or cairo for kids

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west midlands
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
luxor or cairo for kids

going in a few weeks but still cant decide on which one to do. i have a 10 year old who will prob be bored! has anybody taken any children on these trips and which trip has kept them intereted the most?

thanks

carron

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,326 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

Tough call as our's loved both flickr.com/photos/… but Cairo probably just edged it due to the Pyramids

england
Level Contributor
876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

hi ya carron,

We have done both last year we went to luxor with a 6,11, and 13 year old and they cram so much into a day they didnt have time to be bored if iam comparing the two i would say luxor theres more to do there with cairo it was the pymiads and the musuem which didnt have air condtioning but then i only had two children then and the youngest was one at the time so dont remember it, iam the one that gets easily bored but really enjoyed luxor hope this helps .....

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

My son loves both places. He has been to Cairo when he was 7 and 9 and has been going to Luxor since he was 7 (he is now 11).

The Pyramids etc were his first vist and in all honesty the day is so packed out that I would doubt anyone would have time to be bored. Your son probably would of learnt about the Pyramids and Egyptian life at school a few years ago so maybe he will start to remember some of it when he is there. I find the guides that I have had make it enjoyable for my son too.

My son enjoyed the Mummy room at the Cairo museum (he loved Ramses II mummy!) and the Solar Boat museum.

Luxor of course is fantastic too but I would say that for most children seeing the Pyramids is what they think of when you mention Egypt.

west midlands
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

thank you for your comments

1 to cairo and 1 to luxor.

im still none the wiser to which trip to do, does anybody else have any more information to help me decide?

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

Hope this doesn't sound stupid but did you ask your son if he has a preference? He could look up on google some of the different sights which might help him decide.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

I think the memory of the pyramids will stay with him for longer. If I had seen the pyramids at age 10 then I would definitely remember it. If I had seen VotK etc then I would remember some dark crowded passages with writing on the walls.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
98 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

Hi Carron,

I have taken my 9 year old to both, Luxor and Cairo. I have to say I think her memories of the pyramids are far greater than the Valley of the Kings, temples etc. of Luxor. Particuarly going inside one of the pyramids - she loved it! She went back to school telling everyone she had seen the pyramids and been inside! So, given the choice again, I would take her back to the pyramids. The Cairo museum is worth going to, but we didn't stay long - it was too hot and crowded!

Hope this helps and you have a great time!

Kaz

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

Hi Carron

I would say Cairo, the Pyramids and the Mummy room, will be unforgetable for him, you can do Luxor next time!!!! LOL

Regards

barbarah

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

Most kids know the pyramids are associated with Egypt from things they do at school, thay also know Tutankhamun of course but the sheer size of the pyramids, their visual appeal, may just swing it the way of Cairo...and the kids can see Tuts treasures in the museum...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: luxor or cairo for kids

hi,

consider the travelling as well. if you are flying directly luxor (via cairo) it will less problematic. But, if u are thinking of taking train to luxor from cairo - forget about luxor. train journey is about 10-12 hours.

I personally prefer luxor over cairo, because it was the REAL Egypt ! mammoth temples, tombs of Tut etc. But for a 10 year old kid, Cairo would be a better option since they can see what they heard so far - pyramids, sphinx etc.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh