We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leeds
10 posts
Save Topic
the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Hello!

i booked a holiday for 15 night all incl to stay at the sierra sharm hotel in 2 weeks time about 6 months ago and have been so excited despite all the rumours of this dreaded bug! ...ive just found out im 3 months pregnant and so now my worries are a bit worse! does any one know what this so called "cure" is what pharmacies are giving over there so i can check with my doctor that ill be ok to take it?? sickness is bad enough when fit and healthy but now im pregnant its a bit more scary! help! x

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

The usual remedy given out over there is called Antinal. Most UK doctors frown at its usage even for non-pregnant people, so you will probably be told to avoid it.

leeds
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

thanks for the reply! hmm not so good then! ive heard many different storys like its to do with the food, the pool, the weather, the money!! i cant avoid everything but dont really know what to do with myself! literally every review from my hotel.. atleast one of their party has had it, and its only my luck it will be me!

Morecambe
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

go to your own doctor and ask him to write you out a prescription and take whatever he gives you with you , just to be on the safe side.good luck not everyone gets it , i been 6 times and only got it once.

leeds
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

ye im deffinately going to go and do that now! i know thats why ive never thort much of it, its one of those things and wherever you go theres always something you could get an off stomach with, but now its just a bit more important and the last thing i want is to be in a foreign country seriously ill and not know what to do! fingers crossed its a worry about nothing and ill be fine but just need to put my mind at rest incase it does happen! thanks both of you!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Hi,

I don't know as I'd go as far as saying thaty most UK Drs frown on it; mine doesn't & actually uses it himself & for his family when necessary, when they visit Egypt.

Definitely ask your own Dr for advice tho.

It's not licensed here as it's considered outdated for humans. Some people think because of that & as it's used here for animals, that it's the "Devil's spawn".

Many of our current drugs are used on animals, like the popular & over-used amoxicillen, amitriptalene, metronidazole & plenty more.

My own Dr's takle on it is that it's effective in many cases & he worries about over use of newer drugs.

Here are the properties of Antinal which you can print off & take to your Dr.

Enterofuryl - drugs-pro.com/antibiotics/enterofuryl.html

Drug name: Enterofuryl

Other names used:

• Ambatrol®

• Antinal®

• Bacifurane®

• Endiex®

• Ercefuryl®

• Nifrozid®

Active Ingredients: Nifuroxazide

Therapeutic actions:

Enterofuryl is a broad spectrum antibacterial medication used to treat digestive system infections. Nifuroxazide works by blocking the activity of dehydrogenase and inhibiting respiratory chain, tricarboxylic acid cycle and biochemical processes in bacterial cell.

Nifuroxazide is effective against wide variety of bacteria including Gram-negative microorganisms: Escherichia coli, Salmonella spp., Shigella spp., Klebsiella spp., Enterobacter spp., Vibrio cholerae, Yersinia spp., Citrobacter spp., Campylobacter spp., Edwarsiella spp and Gram-positive Staphylococcus spp., Streptococcus spp., Haemophilus influenzae.

Indications: Enterofuryl is used to treat severe bacterial diarrhea

Contraindications and cautions:

Do not use Enterofuryl if you ever had allergy to Nifuroxazide

Do not take this medication in children under 2 years old, in pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Adverse effects: There are possible side-effects associated with this medicine that can affect individuals in different ways. If a side effect is stated here, that does not necessarily mean the fact that all people using Nifuroxazide will experience it or any other.

In rare cases some people may experience allergic reactions such skin rash or itching.

The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.

For more information about any other possible risks associated with Nifuroxazide, please read the information provided with Nifuroxazide or consult your doctor or pharmacist.

Interactions: It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist what medicines you are already taking, including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start treatment with Nifuroxazide . Similarly, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medication while taking this one, to ensure that the combination is safe.

Especially pay attention to other antibacterial medications used to treat digestive system infections.

Additional Information: DO NOT SHARE Nifuroxazide with others. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE for other health conditions. KEEP THIS PRODUCT, as well as syringes and needles, if needed during treatment, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.

Regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Oh, just seen that it's not recommended in pregancy, but it' sstill worth a chat so that you can ask him if he thinks you should take something (his prescription) with you, in case.

Regards

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Many congratulations!!!.

The advice given is very sound. Antinal is an anti-biotic which clears the bug up in about 12 hours but you wopn't get much enthusiasm for it over here. That said it does work and I don't know anyone who has had side effects after taking it.

Better to be safe rather than sorry though.

leeds
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Thanks for all of your replies, have just spoke with my doctor who has basically advised me not to go!! Bit harsh i thought and not too sure what to do now! He said i deffinately havent to take anything that is prescribed out there and that without knowing the name of the bug all he can suggest is the mildest form of anti sickness tablets which i can get here- which he said he doubts will help at all if the bug is as bad as its made out to be! Only 12 days to go and i dont have a clue what to do!!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Hi

Just an idea!

We have luckily stayed unaffected by gastric alments during trips to Egypt.

However unlike most people- we never go in swimming pools. Most hotels have signs saying do not swim in the pools if you have stomach problems - but people are self centred and ignore this. Swimming in other peoples bodily waste- YUCK.

We try to avoid the "Brad Pitts" by only swimming in the sea.

Ian

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
388 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the dreaded bug... but im pregnant!

Oh dear, doesn't sound as though your GP was very helpful.

We absolutely love Egypt and have been 4 times now, but tbh I'm not sure I'd risk going if I was in the early stages of pregnancy, especially if I couldn't get my GP to prescribe something 'safer' to take if the dreaded trots occur.

Perhaps it's just bad luck 'cos I assure you I've taken all the precautions recommended, but I've still had the bug every trip and no I don't use the pools, much prefer to swim in the sea. Our last trip was beginning of June and this year antinal didn't help at all, ended up being prescribed Conaz (still don't know much about this drug) which did eventually clear it up, but had 2/3 days of not wanting to move too far from an available loo!!!

It certainly won't stop us going again, but definitely wouldn't have been funny if there was no suitable medication.

Might be worth asking your travel company what the position is if you relocate your holiday with a back up letter from the GP. At least that way you'll be able to consider the options.

jen x

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh