We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

Hello, I've just booked a last minute trip to Sharm el Sheik, to go scuba diving on the 17t Sept. Staying at the Sheraton, fully inclusive and just wondering if anyone has an tips/hints/ideas about visiting Sharm?

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

Read the sticky tips for first timers thread :)

Sheffield
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

Hi, we fly to Sharm on 8th September and saved a fair bit by booking in advance on line. Our local dive shop recommended emperor diving (www.emperordivers.com/…). I contacted them initially by email and they have been very helpful. They also pick up from where you're staying. Also bear in mind there is a 10% surcharge if you pay in Sharm.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

My husband and son booked three days diving in resort last month. They were paying about £65 each per day for 2 dives.

When we go next year we will definitely book in advance on the internet through Camel or Emperor because they offer special deals such as discounts or buy 3 get 1 free.

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

You can ,believe it or not,haggle with the smaller dive companies.You may get a bit of a discount,you may not but its worth a try.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

Hi - Sorry but thats a crazy price.

£65 per day each - for 2 tanks on a 3 day booking, is unbelievable overpriced. You can get the same for significantly less than half this price, if you shop around.

Emperor and Camel are both way too expensive, if you want to dive regularly.

I recently asked Camel for a discount diving quote -they offered me 3%. At first I thought they were having a joke. but they were serious. They wont be getting my custom anytime soon either.!

Ian

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

So what WOULD you recommend Ian?

I'm thinking of going Oct.

Two people. One diver,one snorkeler.

Never been to the red sea before.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Ron.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

Hi

My recommendation - definitely go. The Red Sea is fabulous for divers and snorkellers alike. Also October is a super month to visit. The sea is warm and the weather glorious.

To add to MrSmall's comments. I never dive with the large dive ops. They get much of their customer base from tour companies and correspondingly are often inflexible with pricing. I normally pay around £30 a day for 2 tank day boat diving. Its simply a case of e mailing a good selection of dive ops before you go and see who will come up with the best price at that time. The fish and reefs are the same whoever you go with and don't worry about safety either - Egyptian diving is highly regulated and inspected by the CDWS.

Ian

Bournemouth, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

I went scuba diving for the first time while staying in Sharm 5 - 15 Oct. We went on a trip to Tiran Island from Na'ama Bay. We left around 9am and returned 5pm. We had three stops to either snorkel or dive. Two stops i snorkelled and one i dived only to 5m but was good enough for me. The experienced divers went down to 30m i think. The actual trip cost us £16 each for the day including food and drinks and snorkelling (if u have mask). The diving cost an extra £15 on top. Well worth a look if u go to Sharm. Beware the price is a lot higher with most companies around Sharm, the company we used was great, made the holiday so much better.

9. Re: First time scuba diving in Sharm, Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh