We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharm House Reefs

Leicester
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sharm House Reefs

Hi All,

After a lovely week in the Maldives, the girlfriend and I are already looking at where next.

I've been to Sharm (Hilton Sharks Bay and Dreams Vacation) and found their house reefs VERY different - with the former being much healthier than the latter.

My question is:

Does anyone have recommendations on resorts that are a) not too big b) provide excellent snorkelling (as neither of us are divers) and c) preferably have all inclusive options?

Also, have had an excursion to Ras Mohamed and found it...hmm...mediocre at best...is Tiran Island much/any better?

As always, it's all about the fish...let me know!!

Cheers,

Neil

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Tough one for the house reef as so many are now getting kicked to pieces but the hotels that are on Ras um sid dive site are your best bet but the reefs have suffered badly over the last couple of years.I prefer Tiran to Ras Mo for diving but there is actually a ban on snorkellers going there,has been for a couple of years now,but it made no difference as everyone just ignored the rule.As a result it is still like people soup and still pretty dangerous for snorkellers around the boats(the reason the rule was bought in).You will probably only be allowed in to the water with a "guide"(i use the term loosely) and not just on your own.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Fly into Hurghada and stay at the Sheraton Miramar El Gouna. The hotel has its own boat pier and a diving station. There are various trips to the reef on offer about 1 to 1 1/2 hour out into the open sea . The boat goes out all day with divers and snorkelers and they provide a guide. I usually suba dive in the morning and snorkel in the afternoon. The sights are awesome even from the surface. Bring your own gear as they will charge for it.

Leicester
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Ok, bearing Ras Um el Sid in mind, are there any hotels you'd recommend?

As a fail-safe, the Hilton Sharks Bay is always a fall-bakc option, but I'd like to see a new resort preferably. I've had a look through the forums and info on Ras um Sid, but cannot find much on the hotels there.

Ideally, we'll be looking at a sub £900 pp AI deal for a week...

Thanks again.

London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Reef Oasis or Hilton Sharm Waterfalls were the two options narrowed it down to - went for the cheaper Hilton option in the end.

Going there in 4 weeks today!

Leicester
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Cool, cheers. Is that Reef Oasis Blue Bay or RO Hotel? I know there has been some confusion to say the least!!

London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharm House Reefs

not the blue bay one

South west
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Hi, We have found the hotel reefs in Sharks Bay very good, you have to walk down a jetty usually,from the hotel, we are going for the 3rd time in May. When we look for a hotel we always check that it has a coral reef , you are usually guaranteed good snorkeling because it's where the fish like to be, feeding etc.

London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharm House Reefs

I have to admit having snorkelled and dived at Sharks Bay, Gardens Bay and Ras Um Sid - I would personally rate the latter two as better. That said, the snorkelling is pretty good all along the coast (except Naama Bay).

Leicester
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharm House Reefs

Yeah I think Sharks Bay may be the way forward.

Can I ask which hotels you look at there?

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharm House Reefs

I've snorkled in Naama Bay lots of times, and different times of the year... and see a wonderful assortment of fish and stingray...... what's wrong with Naama Bay???........