We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

We stayed at Delta Sharm (DS) for 3 weeks from Dec 29th 09 and are now at Sunrise Tirana Aquapark (STA) for 2 weeks (from Jan 22nd 10).

For those interested, I thought I'd review each resort side-by-side.

DS cost us £20.47 each per night and STA £20.43 each per night - these are All-Inclusive rates and exclude the cost of easyjet flights.

The DS price was for a one-bedroom suite and included a premium for several days over the New Year period and the STA price is for a std double room. Both were booked thru alpharooms around 6 months before departure.

General Resort Appearance.....DS is best described as a park with low level apartment blocks spread around. It is a vast resort and very green with beautiful pools spread throughout. There are roads inside the resort which are very quiet. You could stroll around the place for a good hour. STA is the total opposite in that its a huge block of concrete - there is nothing beautiful to look at and a stroll around STA would be over in under 10 minutes.

Resort Shopping......DS has a number of convenience stores, clothes shops, internet cafes, barbers, hairdressers, cafes and restuarants within the grounds. There are also 3 ATMs. STA has a very small shop and a few gift shops, but no ATM.

Accomodation.......We booked a one-bedroom suite at DS, which was a very modern apartment with kitchen and washing machine, dining table, 3 piece sofa, large bedroom and modern bathroom. Our suite had 2 balconies and each overlooked a 3 tiier swimming pool (look for my review of the hotel and see the pics). Our room at STA is very nice and modern but it just cannot compare to the spaciousness of the suite. Our balcony at STA looks out to the main pool and concrete.

Restuarant Appearance.....STA is a modern clean room and laid out very well. Tables are clean, placemats and napkins changed adn cutlery spotless. DS is best described as disgusting.

Food....there doesn't seem to be much difference in the food at either place. It just looks better at STA and you think the kitchens are probably cleaner. Dessert selection at STA is bigger but salad bar smaller.

AI Drinks........drinks at DS come in small plastic cups. Spirits consist of around 5 choices and there are no cocktails. STA drinks are served in large cocktail glasses (if you ask) and the choice is 1000 times better than DS. STA offer a choice of 11 cocktails, which weren't too bad at all.

Restaurant/Bar/Pool Staff.....the staff at STA are much much better than DS. They all have a smile and are keen to help you. At DS they were just ignorant and couldn't be bothered.

Room Cleaner......we had 2 or 3 cleaners each day at DS and every day they were different. This made tipping very difficult so we left a large tip at the end of our stay and let them fight over it (one of them probably had the lot). Our cleaner at STA was so bad that we insisted that he be changed somebody else. He told me off for calling reception with a request for toilet paper after he failed to leave any and he started poking me in the chest when I had to do it for a 2nd time. They all cleaned the rooms OK though.

Noise.....our suite at DS was a 10 minute stroll from the main bar/disco and was very quiet at night - even during the days it was quiet around the pool area in front of our suite. STA on the other hand is very very noisy. You can cope with the planes going overhead all day but you really struggle with ignorant people who think its OK to have long loud chats in the hotel corridors at 2.00am. The corridors are really echo-ey and door banging all night will stop even the deepest sleepers (take ear plugs). The noisy ones all seem to speak Russian BTW.

Clientelle....this is a tricky one as (generally) the hotel is not to blame for the actions of its guests. We didn't have any hassle at DS and everyone queued for their food and all nationalities seemed to get along. The age groups seemed higher at DS (the Aquapark would account for younger ages at STA). On our first night at STA, there was a fight between two Russians which was building for several hours - the hotel staff took them outside several times but kept letting them back in and serving them drinks, until it finally kicked-off and all hell broke loose. The Russians dont give a fig about waiting their turn at STA adn it does annoy a lot of people. STA certainly seems to be catering to a "certain type" of Brit and its noticeable all day long - I wont ellaborate further but you know what I mean.

Location....DS is a 20LE taxi into Naama Bay whilst STA is a 15LE trip into Nab'q. We MUCH prefered Nab'q as we could actually cross the road. Nab'q is much quiter than Naama and it looks much nicer too.

Taxi from Airport......Taxis insisted that we pay 150LE to get to STA but we walked away and (to saev further hassle) agreed a 30LE fare just as we were about to walk out the airport. The fare should probably be 20LE but for the sake of £1 it wasn't worth the hassle. The taxi fare to DS should be no more than 70LE.

Storm Damage.....both resorts suffered from the recent storm but they seem to be getting things together slowly. The only thing noticeable now is a few pools are still brown and some ceilings are covered in plasterboard.

After all that, which would we prefer?

The spaciousness of the suite, greenery of the resort and lower noise would take us back to Delta Sharm. We're hoping that their new restaurant will solve the dining issues.

Im sure there's more that I meant to type so will add later. If you have questions, ask away.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

Staying at STA at beginning of Feb with my husband and13 year old son and daughter, which is the main reason for booking this hotel because of the aqua park. Are the slides as good as they looks in the pictures? So many different reviews on here think I need to stop looking as i keep thinking it might be better in a different hotel. Then i think at the end of the day it's what you make it and we aren't people who generally complain!!

What is the temp there at the moment, and are there many mosquitos?

Despite some bad reviews we are all still looking forward to visiting very soon, be nice to see some sunshine :)

Oh ! just one more thing have you done the quad bike tour and do you know if you need visas to do it?

Many thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

Hi Dizzy

I think you will be fine - all the kids seem to be enjoying the slides.

STA is suited to families where DS isn't.

Weather at the moment is nice and warm - around 25°C, but there is a strong wind. We had a problem with the dust blowing yesterday and we couldnt sit out on the sunbeds without getting grit in your mouth/eyes.

We havent done the quads.

Start taking B vitamins and pro-biotics now to give you some protection against Cairo Quickstep and mozzies (read forum tips thread). Mozzies dont seem too bad at STA but there were at DS.

If you get the Cairo Quickstep then Antinal tablets do work - haggle with pharmacy and pay no more than 20LE for pack of 12.

I know what you mean about all the reviews - we read that many that we booked two resorts to even out chances of a poor one. LOL.

Enjoy your holiday.

Darlington, Co...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

My friend and I will be arriving at STA on Wednesday 27 January - after reading some of the reviews we have been wondering what to expect. It will be nice though just to see, and enjoy, some sun. We're having a "chill out" holiday so I do hope it isn't too noisy in those corridors.

Right, back to my packing.

Mary

england
Level Contributor
876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

Just out of interest did you book the room for the STA direct with the hotel from england as last year we went in August which i realize is the dearest time to go but we paid £4,000 for the five of us 3 were children we are going to the sunrise mamlouk this year and love the place and wondered if you had phoned the sunrise group yrself

many thanks ....

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

Hi princess

We tried to book direct but they wanted really stupid money - like double that of uk agents.

I did a search on alpharooms in december and they were coming up really cheap for Sharm in august then.

Hi mazza

I would suggest that you tell them on arrival that you want a room in the quietest part of the hotel - there are 3 large buildings. Obviously, what could be quiet now could be crammed when you get there and vice versa so i cant suggest any part to you.

Make it clear to them at reception and try to unpack as little as you can that first night - just in case you ask to be moved.

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

We've stayed at Delta Sharm in a two bed (English owned) apartment twice now...... once for two weeks, the second time for three weeks over Christmas/New Year....... we have really enjoyed it........ nice to hear it's the same a we remember it!

7. Re: REVIEW: Delta Sharm v Sunrise Tirana Aquapark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations