We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Hi

Husband and I and our soon to be 3 year are coming on to Sharm in middle of May again for 2 weeks...We visited for 1st time last May and loved it ....

We went did the Cairo trip last year and would really like to go and see Luxor and the Valley of the Kings and Queens any idea how much such a trip would cost be and how long it takes whats the options...We also keen to hear from anyone thats been on such a trip what their thoughts are... Also is there a chance to go and see the wailing wall etc??? Any feedback would be grateful many thanks...

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Luxor is around 1 hour away from Sharm. Daytrips are priced locally at roughly £145-£170 per person.

Luxor is split into two sections.........

East Bank - Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple, Museum and the main town area. Airport is about 20 mins away.

&

West Bank - Valley of Kings (King Tut's mummy is on display at the moment in his tomb), Valley of Queens, Nobles, Queen Hapshepsut's temple, Ramasseum and Medinat Habu.

You wouldn't see all this in 1 day but you would probably be taken to Karnak temple or Luxor temple, Valley of Kings and Hapshepsut's temple on a main tour operators trip.

If possible could you stay for a night? Then you would be able to see the East Bank one day and the West Bank the next but have more time to visit the extra sites? Hotels are quite cheap and it is easy to book a flight via www.egyptair.com ( put egypt as your home country for the best prices)

Karen

Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Karen brillant what more could I have asked for lots of info there and I am glad the trips only a hour from sharm that over bus to cairo was hell.....mind you we stayed over and the next day was better due to having a nights sleep.....when you quote the price is that a flight price included would i be best to book this on my own or through a tour agent in the resort....?

York
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

You could look into booking your own flight to Luxor and stay a couple of nights.

I would HIGHLY recommend doing the dawn balloon flight. Pick you up from hotel, felucca accross the river (assuming you are on the other bank) and then into the balloon and near Queen Hatsheptuts Temple (the one that is almost built in to the hill) and above various diggings etc.

We booked this locally and the various agents all had varying prices but saw it for 25sterling somewhere that was shut and mentioned this to someone who had a face price of 42 and he bit my hand off for 25. So if you were good at haggling you might manage 20 which is an absolute bargain (150 in the UK? but they do cram you in Luxor)

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Hi again, the prices I quoted are for a flying daytrip from Sharm to Luxor.

Whether you would be better off booking when in resort is subjective. Some people prefer to do it this way, others don't. I personally book my own flights and arrange my own guide BUT that is just me! I like to have my own guide and see what I want to see, however if the flight was expensive then I would consider booking a local tour op trip. Check the prices for flights on egyptair and see what you think, you don't have to book them:-)

As for the bus to Cairo...eewww I just couldn't!! lol

Just noticed on my original posting that I forgot to say the West Bank is about 20-30 mins away from East Bank by road.

Edited: 13 February 2010, 13:18
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Regarding the balloon flights - not sure when the poster above did this but the price quoted is not the going rate at the moment. The cheapest I have heard of anyone getting it lately is around £30 but the more likely rate is roughly £40-50pp. You of course mightn't be interested in this due to your 3 year old anyhow, but it is a fantastic trip!

Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

Hi Folks

Thanks for all your feedback you have no idea how help its been,....Ta..

I had a look at Egypt Air and for flights for the 3 of us for the one day trip to Luxor looks expensive then add to that transfers and guide looks like for us at least the best would to book through a local tour company. I looked on here and got a quote from Sharm Excursions and although price looks not to bad that tour does not give us the chance to see everything we do ( I dont want to go into papyrus insitute did somethings like this when we did Cairo) the trip they are offering is

Start the tour by the valley of kings , visit factory of statues then visit Hatshepsut temple and have lunch, visit to papyrus institute , then visit Karnak temples.

Can you tell me if this covers the main must see and dos or are we missing something...

Thanks

Katy

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

It is a standard tour itinerary that Sharm Excursions has set so nothing unusual there. As I previously said you wouldn't see everything in one day anyhow.

Did you ask how much a private tour seeing what you want to see would cost?

Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

No never asked as I did not think it could be possible but theres no harm in asking......Will see what they say ....

9. Re: Trip to Luxor Valley Kings & Queens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh