We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Has anyone had problems with “less than friendly” service at the Shark’s Bay Hilton? My husband and I arrived at the resort last night and we are not sure if it is just us, but the wait staff and bartenders haven’t exactly gone out of their way to be warm, friendly, or helpful. It feels like they are doing us a favor whenever we ask for anything, almost to the point where I feel guilty asking for a refill on my drink. We are Americans, in our thirties, polite, friendly, and tip well. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is it a cultural thing that we are not accustomed to and we are just being sensitive? Do they dislike Americans? Everyone else at the hotel from guards, reception, and housekeeping has been great. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Morecambe
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

OH DEAR i have not been to this hotel but please give it a while and see if things improve , they will not have a problem because you are from america so dont panic , good luck and i really hope things improve for you x

UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Try a bit of banter with them, (do Americans do banter?), a friendly approach might break the ice, especially if they are busy/short staffed/being hassled.

I haven't been to that hotel but we never found the Egyptians to be unfriendly.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Yes, Americans do banter:) Not sure what the deal here is, we just spent 5 days in Cairo and found everyone to be very friendly. Hopefully it will improve. It sure beats the snowstorms and freezing cold back home!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

hope things improve izzi

we asked them were they

were from in eygpt

and they seemed happy to tell us

maybe missing there familys

doncaster
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

never had this problem if things persist mention it to the food and beverage manager who will do their utmost to sort the problem. dont let it spoil your holiday act now

Denmark
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Try asking them about football! That usually breaks the ice.

I noticed you wrote that you tip well. As they are very proud people it's important you don't tip them in front of others. Just a discreet note in their hand. And I don't think you should tip to much as it signals the social difference between you.

We stayed for a week at this hotel in December (old side) and got really good service. But then we had our lovely 13-year old girl with us and the staff always tried to serve us hoping for a smile from her in return :)

I hope you will enjoy your stay at Hilton. We loved it and would love to go back sometime.

London, United...
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Hi

I don't know if this will help or not, but here goes!!!

We were at the Hilton Shark's Bay in 2007. The first night there we went into the "Chill-out Bar" (it's on the old side, the new side had not been built then).

We went to the bar and asked for a drink and the barman (seemed to be the one in charge) said "you can't take these outside"!!!!

We had not intention of taking them outside and hubby told him so in no uncertain terms!! The barman was really unfriendly to us all night after that.

BUT, when we were ready to leave hubby took our glasses back to the bar and called him over. When he came over, hubby gave him a fiver and said a polite goodnight. The barman just grunted at us!!

After that, though, we wanted for nothing!! This particular barman also sometimes worked in the restaurant (wine waiter) and the pool bar. As soon as he saw us he treated us like long lost friends. Strange, but very true!!

As you say, you are polite and you are actually tipping, - so don't worry, I'm sure the attitude of the unfriendly staff will change for the better.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday.

Neeta xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Hi

Sorry, I must add that we didn't tip him after that first night !!

Neeta xx

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I will give it a couple of days and post an update reagrding any changes in service. I certainly don't intend to let it spoil our holiday!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shark's Bay Hlton - Any problems with "unfriendly" service?

thats good

izzi enjoy xxxxxxx

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh