We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Hi guys,

Myself (32), 3 other adults (28,29, 33) and 2 kids (10,13) are booked in to the Auqa blu resort on the 6th September. Flying with Thomson, staying for two weeks, this is our first visit to Egypt.

My partner booked this holiday from the recommendation of the travel agent (first choice), after reading about it on the first choice website it sounded great. i decided to have a quick glance at the reviews to check out what others peoples thoughts were. Well after having a look, I wish i hadn’t bothered. for every two good reviews there is one real bad review that makes me fell gutted i could potentially be spending the bgest part of 2 grand on a bad two week holiday experience. Im a great one for taking my own opinion on these things but some of these reviews cast some doubt into my mind though im trying not to let it bother me.

Flights - Im a really bad flier, not to bad if its over to the med as its a short flight and i know the ordeal isn’t too long. But a 6 hour flight in cramped conditions has all ready got me worried. The flight number starts THO so im guessing this is with Thomson, was wondering if its worth booking myself an extra leg space seat, though this will mean im away from my family. Worried about it all ready which isn’t a good sign :(

Food - Not fussed about food too much, my kids are not fussy eaters, they normally eat what’s going. Bit worried about the many reports of sickness though :(

Drinks - Must admit me and the family are quite frequent drinkers and love a good drink around the pool in the day as we chill out. how small are these beer glasses? Im reading they are little less than half a pint :S. Also does the vodka really taste that bad??

When of the big draws about going AI is the abilty to not have to pay for our drinks so hoping this wont be as bad as what I’ve read.

Flies/mozzies - Sounds like they arwe swarming round like something out of a horror film if you go on some of the reviews. That bad? I believe i can take some kind of pills that deter the flies?

Russians - I’ve been to a lot of med holidays and met all sorts of pushy people (yes even English :p), i guess you fight fire with fire. Im going in September (school hols) so maybe it wont be as bad as everyone makes out.

Never been to Africa before, normally a med or US man myself.

I wanted to go into the holiday with an open mind but the reviews have got me worried. Can anyone assure me or help on the above points? would be greatly appreciated :)

f

UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Firstly I can't help you on the Aqua Blu, (there are a couple of other threads about it on here if you do a search) but hopefully I can put your mind at rest on some of the other issues.

Flights - it's 6 hours and in ordinary seats it is not terribly comfortable, get up and take a walk around, do some leg exercises and you should be ok. Extra legroom seats give you the opportunity to stretch your legs out but it doesn't help with the quality of the seats or the issue of recline/not recline.

Food - some people are really fussy, others don't take sufficient care. Take pro-biotics for a week before you go and during your stay, they will help keep good bacteria in your gut. Make sure you take antiseptic hand gel and use it regularly and especially before you eat or do anything involving hands to mouth. Keep your mouth out of the swimming pool, drink plenty of water and don't overdo the heat or the alcohol.

Drinks - glasses are generally small, like a small squash glass, though you could get a glass and use your own (not real glass though) and yes the local spirits can be quite rough. Beer is available in local supermarkets as is local wine, which also can be poor quality.

Flies/Mozzies - Take Vit B1 a week before you go and during your stay, also Avon So-Soft Woodland ... can deter them ... deet spray if you want to take the risk of using it. We didn't get any problems with mozzies (though wife got bit once) but flies can be a nuisance when you're trying to eat in the open. We normally quickly get a plate of scraps going to keep them occupied and keep the arms moving to discourage them from your plate! Eating inside is rarely a problem.

Russians - some are rude but some of most nationalities can be, we didn't get any real problems and had more fun watching them than bother from them.

Africa is a great holiday destination but you have to take sensible precautions, just like you do for various things at home. The Egyptians are generally friendly and happy to help and exchange a bit of banter - great unless you take yourself too seriously.

Forget your worries and go and have a great time.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Firstly, you have read some bad reviews but how many good ones did you read as well? The decent reviews outnumber the bad ones by about 10:1.

Yes, the glasses are very small round the pool. They are all plastic and about the same size as those little coloured tumblers that you have at home for the kids (maybe even smaller). There is nothing stopping you from visiting the bar as many times as you like though. The vodka tastes a bit like whisky but the wine is fine and my husband never complained about the beer apart from the fact that the glasses were always warm and the beer didn't stay cold for very long.

We found the food to be absolutely fine but, like you, we are not particularly picky eaters.

As for illness, for many people visiting Sharm it is just one of those things that can't be avoided no matter how hard you try. We were all poorly but some anti-bi's from the chemist had us sorted out in next to no time. Having said that though, lots of people visit Egypt year after year and pick up nothing. It really is a lottery and not worth worrying about.

The hotel is full of Russians, Estonians, Belgians, Latvians, Italians, British, Swedes, Croatians etc. etc. etc. In fact, unless someone tells you where they are from you will be hard pressed to know who are who. In the two weeks we were there we didn't witness one single bit of bad or rude behaviour from any nationality (apart from one man who was very drunk one night outside the reception area and I haven't got a clue where he was from). Then again, we weren't looking out for it either so maybe it was going on but we just didn't spot it.

If I was you I would have another look at the reviews. Have a look at the ones who have both positive and negative things to say and you will probably be there or thereabouts.

It's a decent hotel that could be a wonderful hotel if it was just managed a bit better. Overall though it ticks most of the boxes for a good holiday.

London
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Oldbie, fantastic repsonse, very quick and responsive! Thanks so much.

Will have a search around the forum for Aqua Blu information, cheers.

Flights, my main fear in flying is being couped up, almost claustrophobic so i like to have my opwn space or i start to panic. I also have to have everything go to plan, be comfortable, no stress etc or i panic. sounds bad i know but its something i battle with each flight, ive been ok of late but this flight has got me nervous again :( Might just have a few drinks pre flight to maybe take the edge off..

Ok, drinks dont sound to bad, i can live with that i guess. Whats the policy of buying drinks in the supermarket and taking them to your sunbed? Can they be strict?

Great advice on the flies and mozzies, i will definatly try that!

My misses does a bit of Avon work so i will get her to pick up the stuff you mentioned.

Really looking forward to going but combnation of the flight and reviews have got me worried, will try and put it to the back of mind

thanks again

Edited: 19 February 2010, 14:37
London
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Karen, also thanks for your post.

Totally understand what you mean but those 1 in 10's put a bad feeling in your head, im guessing i want it to sound perfect but i realise there are some real fussy people out there.

My family are not to fussy what we like from a hols is - pleasent flight, have a relaxing drink, some partying, things for the kids to do, decent grub and freindly helpful staff who we can have some banter with. If thats the case then we will have a wonderful time :D

Edited: 19 February 2010, 14:41
UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Again, not the Aqua Blu, but I can'r recall seeing anyone buying drinks from outside the hotel to drink on the sunbeds - unless you're a big spirits drinker I wouldn't have thought that was necessary.

We had some cans of Heinekin and a bottle or two of wine from the local supermarket in our room but we didn't ever need to drink that out of the room.

With your flyng issue I would definitely pre-book extra legroom or an aisle seat, if you're in the aisle I would think you would feel less 'hemmed in' and that way the family can be around you to assist. Most carriers now allow pre-booking via their website for a few ££.

London
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Trying to pre book the seats online but for some reason its not letting me ("Sorry, extras are not bookable on line at the moment"). Thinks its due to the holiday being a few months away?

thanks again

Edited: 19 February 2010, 14:57
UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Could be, or maybe you can do it by 'phone?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Like Oldbie, we bought some cans of lager and a bottle of voddy to have in the room but we never needed to take them out into the public areas to drink.

Honestly, unless you are a really fussy drinker I am sure you will find something you like. I am not too particular when it comes to my alcohol; I will drink anything ;-)

Just another point about the flying. I am like you and I struggle with nerves on flights. Each flight I take makes me feel a bit worse than the one before it and I do wonder if I will ever get to a stage when I just can't do it anymore.

The only thing that works for me on a short haul flight is alcohol. I have a couple of drinks in the bar before boarding and take advantage of the drinks service on the flight in the hope that I will just fall asleep and it will be over quickly. It usually works for me.

On long haul I take melatonin tablets which just make me sleep.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

I have just re-read my last post and I sound like I have a drink problem!!!

UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aqua Blue visit in September, slightly worried by reviews :(

Hey Karen you're not that drunken biddy that tripped up and started singing on our flight are you? ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations