We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones in Sharm

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nORWICH
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones in Sharm

I have read though the tips thread but I am still very confused.

Most sites seem to tell me what it costs to call out or receive but I am looking to find out the all round costs.

I am off to Sharm soon but due to an illness in the family I need to stay in close contact with the UK and I need to know they can call me regularly without it costing them a lot of money as previously my parents had a hefty phone bill.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones in Sharm

Hi SAZMO2005

I'm no mobile expert but was just wondering if it would not be possible to enquire to your network provider or local phone shop who may be able to help more with the contract you have??

S S W

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones in Sharm

Hi,

Unsure why you are confused?

Take a spare handset if poss, buy an Egyptian sim to put in that. (Will cost about 20LE, there are about 8.5LE to £1).

If you don't have a spare handset you can buy one out there at a reasonable price.

Send texts from the Egyptian one & ask UK people to reply on your UK number. That's the cheapest way.

Generally speaking - calls to the UK on an Egyptian Sim card cost 4 LE a minute (About 40p) and texts to the UK about 50 Piastres a minute (About 5p)

When you have your sim card you will need to buy credit (on top of the 20LE cost of the sim) & denominations are 5,10,20,25,50,100 or 200LE.

If anyone needs to call an Egyptian mobile / landline from the UK you can do it for 5p/6p per minute via a special access number.

See here for info: http://www.0844calls.co.uk/index2.php

There are no set up or subscription costs, you just enter their access number for Egypt before the mobile number.

Egypt landline 0871 754 90 90

Egypt mobile 0844 566 69 69

Regards

Edited: 01 March 2010, 11:29
UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones in Sharm

Alternatively (not cheaper than the above option but probably less fiddly) buy a global SIM like http://www.globalsimcard.co.uk/index.php and UK callers will be charged for a call to the Isle of Man - the site lists the call rates.

nORWICH
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones in Sharm

Many thanks for your help.

5. Re: Mobile phones in Sharm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh