We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portsmouth
Level Contributor
876 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

going so Sharm for the first time in 3 weeks

happy to tip when deserved , but confused with what !!

read on here that Egypians cant spend UK £1 coins ...then someone else said £1 coins are perfect !!! or did they mean Egyptian £ 's ???

can someone throw light on this !!!

thanks !!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

we tipped in single dollars for the first 2 days

till we got our money changed

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

Egyptians cannot spend or change in the banks coins of any foreign currency -( just as we can't use or exchange foreign coins here in the UK).

£1 coins, Euros etc are often offered to tourists in a request (hassle some cry!) to change into a useful currency.

Egypt has it's own currency, the Egyptian Pound (LE) so ideally this would be the correct currency to tip in. Many guide books and tourists (of which I am not one) advise using US Dollar for tips. Many argue that they cannot get hold of small Egyptian notes and coins. I, and many others I know of have never had a real problem with this. It would seem however, that in the areas of Egypt that promote large scale All Inclusive holidays that the smaller Egyptian notes are harder to come by.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

If you change your money at a bank they will usually give you some small notes/colns if you ask as part of your exchange. 12barbluesman

west midlands
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

we tipped in $1 bills all holiday and they were happy with this, we couldnt get low denomination Egyptian money anywhere even there, they gave us change in LE and euros combined!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

kel500 - probably the reason you got Euro's in your change was because they are absolutely useless to the Egyptians. There is a similarity to the LE1 coin though I think too.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As 12barbluesman says, if you go to the banks/change beaureu to exchange your money they will give you small denominatin Egyptian notes & coins if you ask - even if they don't at first just give them LE100 and ask them to break it down.

Essex
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

So how much should you tip in Egyptian pounds? eg a waiter etc each time you want to tip.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

Tips should be given at your discretion, but if you think you would probably tip a waiter in the UK 10-15% then that would also be fair elsewhere.

E.G: if you spend LE50 per person on a meal out LE5 tip doesn't seem alot to us if we convert it back to sterling, but take the average wage in Egypt into account and it's really not so bad. If you think the service/person deserving of more, then it is your choice to give more.

If you have a look at the TA Egypt and Luxor forums you will see that there are some guide lines in the 'Top Questions' bit on the right.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294200-i9124-Eg…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294205-i9426-Lu…

There's lots of other useful advise in those sections too which are useful for travel in Egypt.

wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

Been 6 times now - this works best in hotel - treated like royalty!!

Tip your porter who takes your luggage to the room ?20E£. Then on your first/ second day give your pool boy 20E£ - he'll keep you sun loungers and put your towel out ready every day! Bar waiter and restaurant waiter - the same. I know it's a bit annoying to tip BEFORE you've had good service, but believe me this is how it's done out there - and it works!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

maybob, do you really think you get treated better because you 'tip' in advance?

So.....imagine scenario - hotel capacity 250 guests. Each guest tips pool boy LE20 first time at pool. Do you really think you will get better service over and above everybody else? I don't. I just think you have helped raise the stakes. Pool boy is making in one day LE5000/£588 (@ LE8.5/£1 conversion). Even if you divide that by 2 (couples) it's still a lot of money. Does that make any sense! My scenario is extreem but I think it highlights some realities.

Don't get me wrong, I believe giving tips is important, but I also believe in responsible tipping.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping

I can imagine the problems the careers advisors have in schools. Trying to convince kids that education is a good thing, but all they want to do when they grow up is be a pool boy and earn 3 times a doctor's salary!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh