We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The old market

West Midlands
Level Contributor
149 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
The old market

Ive just been reading about in on here and it sounds like it's definitely worth a visit.

Can anyone tell me how far it is from Sharks Bay where I will be staying and the best way to get there? Any tips or hints would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
34 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The old market

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I was hoping to go to the market when i'm over there and i'm slightly wary - do you get hastled a lot? I'm only 5'2 and I do get slightly intimidated.

Also, what are the odds of being ripped off, or worse, pick pocketed? Is it a nice place that the locals use or just set out to make as much money off tourists as possible?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The old market

Hi,

Not read anything on here about pick-pockets but plz do be watchful, as you would anywhere.

Yes, you will get hassled but we have been hassled in Na'ama, Nabq & Old Sharm. People deal with it in different ways. During the day I wear reflective sunglasses, at night I don't give eye contact. A firm, "No thank you" or "La Shukran" (in Arabic) often does the trick.

If I want to look in a shop I will take the wind out of the sails with, "You're not going to give me any hassle, are you? I'm British & I don't like hassle" (A smile goes a long way, incidentally as they do have a great sense of humour). I will also say that I won't go in till the shop owner comes & *stays* outside. If they try & talk or come in, I start to go out....but they usually shoot straight outside again. Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't. Hubby often stays outside & has a quick smoke or daydreams whilst I look around! He's not good at haggling. I just treat it as a huge joke....I pretend I can't hear them if it's a price I don't like or as their price gets lower, so does mine....this confuses them & they try (very earnestly) to explain how to haggle correctly. Then my face slips & they realise I'm joking & I usually get a bargain for being cheeky.

If the shopkeeper really won't drop, then walk away. If he follows then you know there is still mileage in the deal, if not then you know roughly what the price should be when you see the item in the next shop.

There are locals at the market but it is heavily aimed at tourists.

Try not to worry too much. Some folk have posted back on here after their trip & said that it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be.

There are fixed price shops in Na'ama Bay (all on one street where the Camel Bar is) called Aladin's Cave & the supermarkets are all fixed price too, except you can haggel a bit in the upstairs of the big one across the road (diagonally) from Hard Rock.

Don't go down the little side streets or souks tiull you feel more confident as it's more pressureised selling there. Don't get caught out by following someone meekly into a shop after he has said they are having a sale, or he wants to show you something or can you translate something or can you sign his guest book....it's all part of the entrapment ploy....then will come the mint tea & sales pitch to soften you up!

Regards

Edited: 17 June 2010, 12:35
13. Re: The old market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh