We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random Egypt question (Food)

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Random Egypt question (Food)

Apologies in advance

can you get Garlic Sauce in Egypt?

more to the point garlic mayonnaise

to make the question a little less random my wife’s is with child and craves chicken with garlic sauce

Sorry....

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

It may be a good idea to pack some in your hold luggage. You may well find garlic flavoured foods but I doubt you'll find garlic mayonnaise.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

The Carrefour supermarket in Naama Bay has quite a good range of foodstuff, but I don't know for sure that they have garlic mayo!

You could definately buy garlic out there and I expect that the chefs in your hotel would be happy to supply some if you request it?

My sister had a cold when we were staying at the Sofitel and the chefs there were happy to give her some fresh chopped garlic every day!

Have a great time!

MM x

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

Awww how lovely is that :) thinking of your lovely wife and Mummy to be . . . . I would suggest maybe taking some with you in your hold luggage. You dont want to be spending your first day there trawling supermarkets and asking chefs to make some LOL although they will no doubt oblige :)

Oh just thought though, if you wife is pg I would be a bit suss about asking them to make garlic mayo . . . . . it is made with raw egg so could be a bit dodgy for your wife in that heat etc so on a more sensible note I think I would be inclined to pack my own and play safe :S

Karen

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

How nice to get a different question!!

Yep take it with you,don't waste time shopping for it.

Redhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

Yes you can,they definatly do it up at 24/7 in Hadaba and will probably do it in Metro and Carrefore,but this being egypt things are prone to dissapearing from the shelves for weeks at a time whilst stuck in a container in customs or awaiting some wheels to be greased with a bit of filthy lucre if you will excuse my cynicism.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

It's a regular feature on Carrefour and Metro supermarket shelves, it may not be a spectacular brand name - but it should do the job ok!

If you're staying in a hotel - it should be no problem - just speak to the chef and tell him to put some crushed garlic in some jarred mayo. They will have plenty of both in the kitchens. Fresh mayo is hardly ever done in Egypt, so your wife should have no worries on that front.

Congratulations!

Redcar, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

Thanks everyone

8. Re: Random Egypt question (Food)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh