We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

yorkshire
11 posts
Save Topic

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

round 2 pin, same as europe

yorkshire
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

cheers

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

I bought a handy one at the airport that gives you two sockets plus a nightlight in the one unit, which has been very useful. I also always take with me a small trailing socket as those sockets in hotel rooms are never in the right place!!

Liorac-sur-Louyre...
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

Same as Europe is too sweeping. We live in France and many sockets in Italy and Switzerland will not accept French plugs. We had a French hairdryer and had to get an adaptor to use it in a Swiss Hotel. My battery charger would not fit into the wall socket in Italy. I can't answer the Egyptian question but I mention this as a warning.

5. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 11:35
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

Hello again

This link from www.luxortraveltips.com may help

www.luxortraveltips.com/essentials/other.htm

(this adaptor is like the one that I bought)

yorkshire
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

thx for your help i will look out for one of these plugs

UK
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

Actually that link wasn't all that helpful as it just mentions continental two-pin sockets. As a previous poster correctly mentioned there are various sockets in different countries, in the main the German type socket with the earth contact on the side of the plug and the French type with the earth pin sticking out of the wall; in Switzerland and parts of Italy they are totally different. Which adapter do we need for Egypt?

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

As already state it is the 2 pin round adapter - as in points 2 & 3 and others on this Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+adaptor&sprefix=Travel+

These adapters are also widely available at Boots, Argos, Supermarkets and other outlets selling travel sundries.

If that link doesn't work, copy an paste into box or search for Amazon - Travel Adapters

Edited: 13 September 2010, 13:07
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what plug socket is used in egypt hotels

Hello Nick

I am sorry that you found my link unhelpful. I have uploaded two photos of the adaptors I have used in Luxor with no problem whatsoever, so hopefully that will make things clearer for you. This is the link

community.webshots.com/album/578572020bzRCcp…

Click on the photos to make them larger.

You will see that all have another round hole in the back of them, so I presume this may be for the earth pin that sticks out of the wall in some European countries. I have never encountered this, so please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong. I used the double socket one in Portugal just two weeks ago and it worked perfectly there as well. Normally on buying these things in the likes of Boots or wherever, there is a blurb on the packaging that lets you know where they can be used.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer for everyone.