We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Risk it or not risk it?

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Midlands, uk
Level Contributor
365 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Risk it or not risk it?

Hi,

Havn't been to Egypt before but have been told many times not to risk it as we're two young women travelling alone and it can be dangerous..Are we right to worry?

Medway
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Risk it or not risk it?

You'll be safer in Egypt than you will be in England !!

Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Risk it or not risk it?

VickynCarla

It's very safe and you will have a fantastic time. I am going back in April.

Enjoy. Lisa

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Risk it or not risk it?

And how many people that say it's dangerous for single women are actually speaking from experience?

I consider myself to be a traveller, as opposed to a tourist, and can think of very few destinations that are dangerous specifically to women. If somewhere is that bad then it is a destnation that would generally not be visited by either gender.

Providing you utilise commen sense then you can travel almost anywhere in the World, and as the previous poster said, you are probably more at risk in areas of the UK.

From my experience, if you observe local customs and dress with consideration for the country you are visiting, you will be treated with respect, (without having to go over the top). Western women who show large areas of flesh, (perfectly acceptable in the West), can attract attention partly through resentment for lack of consideration but also because in that kind of society they may also appear to look as if they lack morals. The very commen adage 'right place, right time' applies!!!!!!

Nicosia/Cyprus
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Risk it or not risk it?

Dont worry about anything. Everything is very quide and the local people are so friendly ...

Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Risk it or not risk it?

my friend went with her sister and they are both blonde. They had no hassle of any of the guys out there. The said they felt safer over there than over here.

I went a few months ago with my boyfriend. I had a few egyptian men make some comments but they were complimentary rather than crude.

Over here a guy will either grab your bum or tell you some cheesy chat up line if he fancies you. In egypt they tell you your beautiful or a princess. I know which one i'd prefer!

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations