We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling Newbie question

england
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkling Newbie question

Very simply - would you advise buying a snorkling set from here [snorkel with dry valve, mask, fins] or to look to buy/rent whilst in Sharm (probably from the Hotel - Sultan Gardens in this case)?

Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

Hi,

I would definately buy in the UK or if you buy in Sharm buy one from a proper dive shop as many of the cheapy masks from local shops will leak and ruin your snorkeling experience.

There is excellent advice from Scubabear in this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…8356652

Personally I wouldn't ever rent a snorkel for hygiene reasons.

Have a great time!

MM x

Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

We bought our snorkelling sets in the UK. I got a really good deal on eBay - a brand new ladies Body Glove dry snorkel and mask for £20. It is fab quality and a real bargain! My OH got his set in a local water sports shop.

There are some good offers on Amazon as well, but make sure you order in plently of time as some of them come from America!

Gloucestershire.
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

We bought our mask & snorkels in Naama Bay..... for about a fiver - they do the job brilliantly and don't leak - still going strong and will take on our 6th trip over Christmas !!

england
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

Thanks Guys (and gals!)

Yep I wouldn't consider renting a snorkel.

As we are only there for a week I don't really want to waste time hunting in Sharm so it was really a choice of shop in hotel vs Ebay/Amazon most likely.

Mask/Snorkel (ideally with Dry Valve) is fine but was really unsure about getting fins esp given their bulk/weight as well.

Do you peeps also use them?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

as the sea is quite often calm you don't always need fins but they can be handy on a day when the current is pulling you along nicely but then you remember you have to swim back! Have a look at Typhoon T Jet fins on that well known auction site as they are small, light and fit nicely in your luggage. I've got some and they are also comfortable.

WIgan, England
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

defo get fins....

It makes a huge difference. It makes the snorkel swim so much easier.

england
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

Thanks for this.

I will look out for them

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

Hi there

Always swim into the current when you start so that it will help you back when you have finished

Regards

barbarah

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

Or walk to the jetty of the hotel next door and let the current bring you back to your jetty! :)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,848 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkling Newbie question

If you are new to snorkling you will probably go off the beach which should be calmish or with a group trip which supply your equipment.

I take mask because then I don't have to bother with adjusting it and it fits. Also snorkel so I know its clean.

I swim off jetty with no fins and no prob. (because I don't want the extra weight in my case),also I find the fish stay put with less disturbance and I am a good swimmer. Also didn't need them off the public beach at Ras Mohammed.

Going on a boat trip to snorkel open water they will provide fins and take great care of you whatever your standard, its a fabulous trip and the coral is amazing out there.

Fins were rented out at the hotel dive shop very reasonably and you can get coaching there if you need help or want some confidence.

Hope you get hooked on the underwater beauty and become a snorkeling enthusiast.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 03:21
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh