We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

"Information on the situation in Egypt, as of 31.01.2011, 08:00 clock - location on the Red Sea remains quiet / TUI nevertheless recommends to reconsider travel plans to Egypt and offers toll-free changes and cancellations for all arrivals to 07.02. / Travel to Cairo and Luxor, up 07.02. stopped

More about

Information of the Foreign Ministry on the situation in Egypt

more ...

Press Release No. 2 on the situation in Egypt

At 31 January 2011, 09:00 clock more ...

Press Release No. 1 to the situation in Egypt

Stand 29 January 2011, 10:00 clock more ...

Service Hotline at telephone (05 11) 567-8000

Dear guests,

below will provide you information about your trip to Egypt:

Information for customers with a beach stop on the Red Sea

The situation in the tourist areas is currently quiet. Although it is our vacation spot is currently no limitations, we can not ensure this in the future. We therefore ask you to reconsider your travel plans and rebook to another destination. Therefore we offer you for all arrivals to Egypt until 07.02. a toll-free rebooking or cancellation of your trip."

Therefore, German tourists travelling with Thomsons can in fact re-book or cancel free of charge, so why does the same not apply to Britain customers?

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

Has anyone rung Thomson to find out?

Maybe us Brits are more resilient!

Edited: 31 January 2011, 16:22
derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

i rang at 11 this morning..no change no exchanges until FO advise changes.......

Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

The British Thomson (website) are still saying there is no unrest in Sharm and travel is normal! To be fair, I expect they have to be guided by our own FCO advice, but it's a bit rich to be treating the Germans and the Brits differently!

Edited: 31 January 2011, 16:24
derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

ive just emailed thompson pre travel services asking them to explain why germans can alter bookings and the british cant...........will post IF i get a reply........

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

Perhaps we should all do the same, If enough people email them to say that Germany, Scandinavia, Turkey etc have now declared the whole country a no go zone it may make a difference. I think people who are due to go in the next couple of weeks should be allowed to change destination free of charge should they so wish.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

Will be interesting to see what reply you get. We don't travel till october to marsa alam but we are glued to al jazerra!

I'm desperate to return, I want it to be in happy circumstances for all concerned.

London
Level Contributor
228 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

Absolutely Titania17!

I WANT to go SOMEWHERE ELSE please Foreign Office.

Have never felt so helpless. It's awful.

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

I would print off that info and go to a thomson shop ask them to put in writting that they do not agree the the info they have given out to germany and get them to put in writting that as of time date in shop the curfew does not apply to sharm and that they have checked with their insurance compy (if insured through them) that you are free to travel out side hotel after curfew. Or insist that they get thisin writting from your insurance comp (they are the ones who insist that you be insured when booking). If they cannot do this, then I would force a change of holiday as it would show deff impact on sharm holidays.

Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

pls let us know what reply you receive...that posting was from the TUI site...it was in German, but I simply used Google translate....I would guess their answer will be that they have to follow the advice of their government, but it is blantantly different treatment for their German customers.....I think we are correct in asking for a concrete assurance that the curfew does NOT apply as of course it will invalidate any insurance we may have.

I'm not due to fly out until the 24th Feb but it's not looking good at all and I would guess that there will be lots of people cancelling, if they can.

UK
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: latest advice from TUI (Thomson) Germany

I get your point, but Thomson is not TUI, even if it is the same group. Thomson is guided by UK government advice, TUI by German government advice. Crazy, I know but their hands are tied, I suppose if they offer refunds despite FCO insistance that it is safe, their insurer won't pay out.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh