We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One thread for all updates!

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
One thread for all updates!

Hi All

Let's keep one thread for all posts with relevant info and concerns about the recent problems in Egypt. Please no scaremongering, take into account that there will be members deciding to travel in the near future and they need facts not hearsay and support where necessary..

I myself have been in touch with people in Sharm, one working as a dive instructor, yesterday she was working as usual and didn't appear to have any worries, she is remaining there. An update later in the evening was that people were starting to panic buy food, but this would only be of concern to those living there, or people self catering.

Another friend is on holiday and hasn't experienced any problems, but hasn't moved from the hotel, not because of the problems, but because she went for a rest. I am only reporting what I have been told, others might have slightly different experiences.

So let's be sensible about this and keep all the information together, much easier to find

Regards

barbarah

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One thread for all updates!

I agree - a very sensible post.

BBC have broadcast the following report this evening regarding Sharm:-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12330093

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One thread for all updates!

do you have any information of some of the reports about that food, water, indeed basic supplies have in short supply, as these have been unable to get through?

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One thread for all updates!

No I don't, but bearing in mind there will be stocks there for a certain amount of time, especially at the hotels and no problems with planes getting in or out.

In my opinion the tourist industry is very important to Egypt, 10% of their income, they should do their level best to make sure the tourists are looked after.

Having said that what is happening in Cairo, Alex and Suez is totally unprecedented and the lives of Egyptians are at risk. What would you be thinking about in a similar situation? It's a dreadful situation for all concerned

Regards

barbarah

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One thread for all updates!

Sharm is capable of bottling its own water. Maybe some workers wont turn in for a week or two but it wont be much worse than that. It can be filtered by the truckload. Just inconvienient for a while.

The panic buying is down to the situation in hand but equally down to a fear that the cost of living will rise very quickly which it will of course, but not for hotels so much.

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One thread for all updates!

Yes, most hotels have desalination plants, so water will not be a problem

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One thread for all updates!

hi,

delighted to have seen the bbc report from sharm. im due to fly out on Thursday and have been so confused as to what to do. travel agents say if we dont go we wont be refunded. its alot of money to loose. i think what easy jet are doing is brilliant, all tour operators should be giving those options. im just concerned that although things are ok in sharm at the moment, if we fly out and things go bad, what will happen then??

i have been so excited to go, cant believe this is happening!

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One thread for all updates!

Barabarh,

I dont think anyone could argue with the your thoughts on the Egyptian people, but tourists bombarding this website with their case, for fairness, and trying to make, valid points, is a case to answer to.

A lady posted this morning that their parents had arrived last night, to have chicken and rice for tea, and a boiled egg for breakfast, in a fully inclusive hotel as supplies had been rationed.if and i mean if this kind of action is being taken by even 1 hotel, then the tourists are being sold short, and have the basic right to know.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,142 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One thread for all updates!

Just posted this on BoringFS's thread in response to someone who is worried about he nationwide curfew affecting Sharm:

Planes are landing there as normal, after the 3pm time & onward transfers to the hotels are being conducted, without problem; similiarly, return flights, after the 3pm time are taking place.

I spoke to Thomson earlier today about the curfew, wording on their website & I have also spoken to the FO as well as numerous people, 1st hand in Sharm.

Whilst the wording on the FO website says, "Nationwide Curfew", they are aware that it's not in force in Sharm but wouldn't comment further.

Thomson are offering all people with flights up to & including the 2nd Feb (to Sharm) a choice to change destination to somewhere else within the month of Feb.

end quote

On that thread, the point has been made to check your ins to see where you stand with this conflicting info if you're out & about after the set curfew times. Nobody (FO or tour ops) seems to want to say (officially) that Sharm is Sinai & therefore "diiferent".

Regards

9. Re: One thread for all updates!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 22:35
derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One thread for all updates!

i can only state what thompsons told me at 11 this morning, albeit we do not travel till the 7th feb, no exchange of destination until FCO changes the travel status....i have also e-mailed their pre-travel services at 4pm today and awaiting response.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh