We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One thread for all updates!

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
10,005 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
One thread for all updates!

Hi All

Let's keep one thread for all posts with relevant info and concerns about the recent problems in Egypt. Please no scaremongering, take into account that there will be members deciding to travel in the near future and they need facts not hearsay and support where necessary..

I myself have been in touch with people in Sharm, one working as a dive instructor, yesterday she was working as usual and didn't appear to have any worries, she is remaining there. An update later in the evening was that people were starting to panic buy food, but this would only be of concern to those living there, or people self catering.

Another friend is on holiday and hasn't experienced any problems, but hasn't moved from the hotel, not because of the problems, but because she went for a rest. I am only reporting what I have been told, others might have slightly different experiences.

So let's be sensible about this and keep all the information together, much easier to find

Regards

barbarah

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: One thread for all updates!

i will ring thompsons everyday to saturday, and post what they have to say,if helpful to the forum

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: One thread for all updates!

I will text Barbarah from resort.....if I make it there!

:-s

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: One thread for all updates!

i also spoke to thomsons today and told that i cant change destination without losing 100% of my money, if cancel my travel agent-i4travel say they shall give me£450 towards a new booking spread over my party of 7 people as a gesture,still think its shockin that thomsons arent doing same as easyjet,i woud really like to rebook but cant afford to loose£3200,meant to be going out to celebrate mine and fiends 40th birthdays lol

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: One thread for all updates!

meant friend lol

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: One thread for all updates!

What's your due travel date zaz?

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: One thread for all updates!

it may well be that travel companies are going to wait until 2 days prior to your departure to offer exchanges...........this is speculation but bearing in mind what nephthys has found out, it may transpire, over the next few days, hence while I will ring up daily, and post responses........

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: One thread for all updates!

What date are you travelling Nephs and are you on Thomson ? (assume so as you are checking with them etc). It would be really good to hear from a DE fingers crossed for you.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: One thread for all updates!

fly out on 7th feb pal,from glasgow

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: One thread for all updates!

Yes, Thomson; Thursday 3rd - 10th (11th when land back here)

Zaz, you need to check nearer the time about changing destination then; looks like it's only u to 2/3 days before atmo, but that may change.

Regards

Edited: 31 January 2011, 23:00
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: One thread for all updates!

I am literally just back a few hours ago. Left at about 4pm today. We were staying in Nabq (Magic Life), and there were not food shortages that were noticable when we left.

The only shortage we encountered was petrol, we were in Naama on Saturday and the taxi driver had to take us on his hunt for petrol before driving back to Nabq.

I felt there was a bit of a different mood in the hotel last night. I think people were starting to become concerned. There was a bit of a lack of information, notices posted on the reps board, but only 2 of them to date (updated one today), basically saying that there is no unemployment in the area, as if that meant it would be fine.

I expect supplies will begin to become a problem. I was also a bit un-nerved by the internet and telephone issues - I just didn't feel comfortable that they were able to just do that, and also the knowledge that the government is falling apart and the future is rather uncertain.

There was however no signs of violence anywhere we were.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh