We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One thread for all updates!

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
One thread for all updates!

Hi All

Let's keep one thread for all posts with relevant info and concerns about the recent problems in Egypt. Please no scaremongering, take into account that there will be members deciding to travel in the near future and they need facts not hearsay and support where necessary..

I myself have been in touch with people in Sharm, one working as a dive instructor, yesterday she was working as usual and didn't appear to have any worries, she is remaining there. An update later in the evening was that people were starting to panic buy food, but this would only be of concern to those living there, or people self catering.

Another friend is on holiday and hasn't experienced any problems, but hasn't moved from the hotel, not because of the problems, but because she went for a rest. I am only reporting what I have been told, others might have slightly different experiences.

So let's be sensible about this and keep all the information together, much easier to find

Regards

barbarah

London
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: One thread for all updates!

Not long to go then.

Meant to say thanks for the thread to Barbara, perhaps if we are sensible and just stick to the one thread we will be Ok

gateshead
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: One thread for all updates!

I have just received a telephone call from one of our Egyptian friends that works in the Coral Sea Holiday Village in Nabq he told me there is nothing to worry about in Sharm there are no curfews and no food shortages everything is normal. He said if the situation changes he will contact us.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: One thread for all updates!

ill keep eye on things for couple days,getting bit obsessed by it now and all goodness has been sucked out it,were travelling with 3 kids 11,and two 6 years,not much bothers me but not 100% where young kids involved.feel like booking another holiday and hope that this holiday gets cancelled and refunded,is a bit of a lottery though and bit risky

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,111 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: One thread for all updates!

I spoke to 3 hotels earlier who told me the same. I've been ringing our hotel daily & am now quite friendly with Mohammed in reception. He says we can go to his place if there is no food in the hotel!

I have also spoken to workers in shops.

Regards

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: One thread for all updates!

the other thing to consider is If you are offered an exchange, where would you go......Tenerife being the most obvious, but the weather forecast isnt brilliant......weve been looking and noticed a possible alternative destination, but that has risen in price from 683 each all inc to 711 all inc in less than 24 hours, including 2 price increases today.......providing the situation is no worse Sharm with a decent weather forecast ahead may well still be the best bet

Edited: 31 January 2011, 23:13
Cumbria
Level Contributor
308 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: One thread for all updates!

personally I'd rather just have a refund than choose somewhere else. I booked Red Sea because that's where I want to go - its not just a holiday, its a break in the sun with good food and there isnt really anywhere else I want to go at this time of year.

Northern California
Level Contributor
785 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: One thread for all updates!

I am in California where it is about 21:30 on 31 January. Egypt is 10 hours ahead -- about 07:30 on 1 Feb. I mention the time because what the US media is reporting (not new) is that Pres. Mubarak is in Sharm. One wonders when this fact will draw some attention from the protesting Egyptians. Just another factor is in deciding whether to travel there, especially if in fact the army is moving into the area.

Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: One thread for all updates!

Great thread, and I for one will be checking regularly...not due to fly out until the 24th but its good to keep an eye on the situation, here's hoping TA don't close this topic.....

...am a little concerned about the official/unofficial curfew; can't call my insurance company as I'm at work all day so will be watching with interest!

good work everyone, and for anyone due to fly out in the next couple of days, have a great time :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: One thread for all updates!

I had also read that Mubarak was meant to be in Sharm, although thankfully only after my return yesterday. I'd have been more worried when I was there had I known that! I wonder where is villa is, if it is near a hotel!

I think the fact that the army are down there now, means that they know they need to be for some reason. It may well be that due to lack of internet and local news channels that people in the cities may be unaware. I am also thinking though that when they do become aware they may not have the transport or the ability to get through onto the Sinai peninsula due to security. I am thinking that in the next few days surely he will resign and flee over to Saudi (which we could see from the beach, so maybe quite easy!!).

I hope that with all these worries then maybe the holiday companies will take things seriously and stop sending people. It would be nice if it wasn't necessary, but imagine if they can't get food, curfew to include leaving flights etc. Could be quite a bad holiday!

We came out of there yesterday and it feels like we were leaving at the right time.

Good luck to all with trips booked, hope they refund you or send you somewhere else. I doubt anyone would feel terribly happy getting on flights to anywhere in Egypt right now.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: One thread for all updates!

I am supposed to be at the Sharm at this time..my very first trip to that area..here is what I justed posted on another thread..

Our tour was with Pronto tur here in Turkey leaving from Istanbul..we were booked to fly out on the Saturday of Jan 29th..( as all the things were happening ) for a 7 night 8 day trip to Alexandira, Cairo and Sharm .

2 days before our trip was to leave the tour company call us personally and cancelled our trip....and we were told we would get our money back on our credit card...so they treated us very well and I was happy that they offered a great and quick response to the situation...we were offered alternative tours but declined.

I was also very impressed with the Turkish airlines and the Turkish governement that immediately sent planes to Cairo to pick up stranded Turkish citizens..last Saturday...as they did the same for the erruptions in Tunisa..

on another note; I was deeply saddened to see the news reports on Euro News of the vanalizim of the Cairo Museum...such as waste...

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh