We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One thread for all updates!

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
One thread for all updates!

Hi All

Let's keep one thread for all posts with relevant info and concerns about the recent problems in Egypt. Please no scaremongering, take into account that there will be members deciding to travel in the near future and they need facts not hearsay and support where necessary..

I myself have been in touch with people in Sharm, one working as a dive instructor, yesterday she was working as usual and didn't appear to have any worries, she is remaining there. An update later in the evening was that people were starting to panic buy food, but this would only be of concern to those living there, or people self catering.

Another friend is on holiday and hasn't experienced any problems, but hasn't moved from the hotel, not because of the problems, but because she went for a rest. I am only reporting what I have been told, others might have slightly different experiences.

So let's be sensible about this and keep all the information together, much easier to find

Regards

barbarah

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: One thread for all updates!

Debbie & Amanda,

Egypt's landlines are working; my friend is currently stuck in Alexandria. His landline never got cut off & his mobile is also working, however not all mobiles are up & running but UK mobiles seem to be working out there.

I never use the net when away but I will be using my UK phone & also hoping that my Egyptian one is one of the ones that works!

Regards

Edited: 01 February 2011, 11:44
Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: One thread for all updates!

Thats good that landlines are still working, I did read that all communications had been cut off, which was a major worry. Especially as my mother and father in law are elderley, and father in law is disabled.

They were lucky that they could cancel and are re-booking for december instead.

hopton
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: One thread for all updates!

I booked my accommodation with Travel republic and we should have gone in 11days and they changed our booking with no extra charge although we did pay more just because the hotel was more expensive but there was no admin fees and Easy jet just transferred our flight to on in Tenerife so l am more than happy as l have not lost anything and can now look forward to my holiday albeit to another destination.

uk
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: One thread for all updates!

Anyone traveling soon should do the same as Nephthys re checking out your insurance. Some will be covered for unrest others will not. All should check and get in writing before traveling

65. Re: One thread for all updates!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 23:31
Edited: 10 June 2011, 23:31
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: One thread for all updates!

Hi,

It's Chartris, Lifeline Plus (Group personal accident & travel Ins).

Thing is, it's in the name of our (ie Hubby's, mine, his biz partner & wife) business. I don't know if Chartris do the same sort of cover for individuals.

Good luck,

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: One thread for all updates!

Technically the landlines cannot fail as the is one heck of a fibre optic cable running through Egypt alongside the Suez

If they were to cut it off it would cut off the whole of the Middle East from Europe.

port talbot
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: One thread for all updates!

update on bbc news in last half hour, germany has said no travel permitted to any parts of egypt including red sea resorts, our fco all calm no problems thanks i'll try and have a good holiday lol

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: One thread for all updates!

Hi After reading dozens of posts re 'the troubles' in Egypt over the past week can I say a big thank you to Nephthys for your clear reports and precise information. There has been so much rubbish on here, which some T.A. have deleted its a pleasure to read any post you reply to because I know it will be interesting . Keep up the good work!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: One thread for all updates!

Thank you :-)

Altho I have just been acussed on another thread of giving misleading info!

Never mind.

To misquote an old saying:

I can only please one person a day....today is obviously not that person's day & 2moro's not looking good either!

:-)

Edited: 01 February 2011, 12:24
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh