We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
188 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

We are of to sharm on Thursday, I am starting to panic that I will be over on my luggage allowances.

We are flying with Thomas cook 4 people with 15 kgs each, but have just weighed my cases and 2 weigh nearly 5 kgs when empty ( I am hoping I have just got dodgy scales).

I am taking only 3 cases for 4 of us, will they allow my to be slightly over on my weights for each case ?. ( for example my 3 cases having a combined weight of say 50 kgs leaving me 10 kgs under my groups allowance.)

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
680 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

yep

SKELMERSDALE
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

get there nice and early and you will be fine but why not take the full 4 cases and split everything that way

cheshire
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

we had to make sure ours were all under the weight allowance, they wouldn't let us combine, I would take 4 cases x

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

Yes us also TC seem to be very strict on weight, I would take 4 cases and split your weight, if you only take three and are over the weight limit, you will be charged and I must say it will be a lot, £8.00 for every kilo on my last trip. I don't mean to frighten you. But what will you do in the airport if your over your limit? I bought rolly type pull along bags... they were great no weight really. You can also purchase suitcase scales on ebay or in luggage shops, which are calabrated to airport scales, I use these when ever I travel they are never wrong.

Edited: 02 April 2011, 19:20
Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

Id take 4 cases as when we were in sharm airport 2 wks ago they were charging people over the limit

northants
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

TC website states that you can split a luggage allowance but that no case/item can be over 30kgs due to the risk to baggage handlers.

Also the hold allowance for each adult passenger is 20kgs in addition to the 5kgs hand luggage.

Here are the details fromTC website:

Baggage policy/informationAll the information below is based on passengers travelling with Thomas Cook Airlines.

Once baggage has been booked, it cannot be removed from the booking. Baggage charges are non-refundable.

Please note that all additional services must be added for all passengers named on the booking and for all flights shown.

Hand Baggage

All bookings for all destinations include a free allowance of 5 Kgs per passenger. This cannot be combined together with other passengers or with any hold bagagge. Each person is allowed 1 item only. The size of the item cannot exceed 43 cm x 28 cm x 23 cm (17 x 11 x 9 inches) in size as recommended by Thomas Cook Airlines.For information on items that are not allowed in your hand baggage please click here.

VALUABLES

Please remember to pack any valuables including money, credit cards, jewellery, keys and camera equipment in your hand luggage and not in your suitcase.

Hold Baggage

No hold baggage is included for flight only bookings. (excluding Premium Cabin and Canada flights) Each passenger is able to pre-book 20 Kgs of baggage via www.flythomascook.com at an extra cost. This can be done during the booking journey or after the booking has been confirmed. If you wish to add baggage to your booking once it has been confirmed you can do this via the website or via the Customer Help Desk. This has to be done outside of 4 days before your first departing flight. The charges for baggage are in the below table. (Any weight over this allowance please see Excess baggage below)

If your booking reference is similar to S123456J you are only able to add baggage via the Customer Help Desk. You can also only add baggage for all passengers travelling on the booking. To add baggage for individual passengers this can be done at the airport on the day of departure. Charges start from £20.00 per passenger, per 1 bag of 20kgs. This only applies if the passenger hasn't got any hold baggage pre-booked.

Short Haul & Medium, Haul flights (Flight duration up to 6 hours) Long Haul flights(Flight duration of more then 7 hours)

During booking journey or amending via the website £12.00 / €15.00 per person per flight £19.00 per person per flight. Please call 0871 230 2406

Amending via the Customer Help Desk £17.00 / €20.00 per person per flight.Please call 0871 230 2406 £19.00 per person per flight. Please call 0871 230 2406

If a booking has been confirmed within 4 days of the first departing flight and allowance of 20 Kgs is then a mandatory service, and cannot be removed.

Passengers on the same booking reference can combine their baggage together as long as any one case does not exceed 30 Kgs. This is due to Health and Safety reasons for the baggage handlers.

Passengers travelling in a Premium Cabin will be provided with a hold baggage allowance of 30 Kgs within the booking cost.

Passengers travelling to Canada will be provided with a hold baggage allowance of 20 Kgs within the booking cost.

If passengers have not pre-booked hold baggage before they travel, they will be charged at the check-in desk. This is only on the day of departure and starts from £20.00 per person, per flight with the allowance of 1 bag up to 20 Kgs. This is the only way you can add baggage for individual passengers if your booking reference is similar to S123456J.

If you have 0kg or 20kg of hold baggage your itinerary/tickets will display an icon showing this. For emailed tickets the icon will be displayed as follows:

Hope this helps

Jax

manchester
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

I flew with TC in February to & from Sharm , 3 of us travelled & I only took 2 cases, didn't have any problems either way.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
188 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

Hi peekaboo

Were your 3 cases much over you allocated allowance?

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

we have travelled many times with thomas cook and they combine your luggage as long as you dont go over your total allowance you will be ok . but go over and they WILL CHARGE !!!

shropshire
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panicking over luggage allowance !!!

Don't forget If your cases are over you can transfer some clothes to ur hand luggage bags, as 5kg for hand luggage is a lot and many people waste this allowance and worry and pay for extra suitcase allowance. When we were over weight with thomas cook she told us we could either transfer some clothes over or pay the fine, also if ur allowance is 15kg, u are fine even going up to 15.9kg aslong as it doesn't go to 16kg per case , they normally still class it as 15kg on the heavier side of 15kg.

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh