We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance

We are travelling with kids and want to do Snorkelling, trip to cairo, star gazing. quad biking.

I am looking around for insurance and am getting confused with the small print and conditions!.

Can anyone give me an idea as to how much would it cost on an average for doing the above Single or Annual?

Many thanks

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
204 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance

To be honest I have never had insurance for these (whooopsie...) Just taken my normal annual insurance and made sure the companies I used had insurance.

Highly recommend Sinai Safari Adventures (number one on here) it's English owned and very competitive.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance

Costs will vary wildly unfortunately.

the hard part is reading the small print to see what the difference in cover is between the cheap one and the expensive one.

I can only give an example from my own experience last year

I was going to do the hot-air balloon flight, so I checked with insurance company( I have permanent annual travel insurance courtesy of my Bank and Royalties Gold account which costs me around £12 a month)

If I booked the flight with my travel company as part of my PACKAGE I was covered

If I wanted cover to book a flight on arrival in Luxor, they wanted a £50 excess.

It was £40 (Before the 10% discount the account gives me on the whole holiday) for the flight, so it was a no-brainer as to the decision.

Talk to your existing company - tell them all the 'risky' things you want to do and ask for a price. That then becomes your baseline

The hard part then is when you go to a web site such as go-compare (I have no idea if they do insurance, so pls don't quote me) and try and get identical cover.

A guide question to ask might be "does this policy fly me home in the event I have an accident?"

Edited: 03 November 2011, 11:54
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance

Using a price comparison site is a very good idea. It's also worth checking that you get exactly what you want and not some generic policy just for the sake of it. Being flown home if you suffer a holiday ending accident ( god forbid) is one very important thing to consider

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance

thanks all...yep, reading the small print is the difficult bit...was reading few and already have my head spinning!...wanted Quad biking, camel riding to be included but if they have one they dont have the other!....

UK
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance

I took my insurance with T.C as I had booked with them - it cost about £50 for family insurance and covered us for Cairo, Ras Mo snorkeling and Petra. It also covered for lots of other things that we didn't do. We checked direct with the insurers before leaving to double check as we were going to Jordan but it was fine. Hope you find something reasonable! :))

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance

try adding a pre excisting medical condition in to the insurance family mix and then see your head spin... three weeks it took me to finaly oin down an insurance that was affordable ,, still just 5 weeks away and we fly off to sharm and i am sure it will all be worth it.....hope you get fixed up soon..

...tommy...

UK
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insurance

We did Tommy but it was good insurance and even better that it wasn't needed!

Not going with the same company next time so using Unique as our insurers as they cater for people who need more than the average cover!

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insurance

thanks Sharky and Predator2 ....having gone thru loads of policy documents etc, I have kind of zeroed in on greatcover.com who actually cover Camel riding, snorkelling and quad biking ...

But the condition for quad biking is that it has to be 50cc!!! ..does anyone know if quad biking in Sharm is 50cc???

Also, has anyone used greatcover.com??

thanks

9. Re: Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh