We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doctors letter???

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Doctors letter???

Do we need a doctors letter with us about medication we have to take? Never needde it before but just wondered whether Egypt was any different to other countries.Have been before but we wern't taking any then.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doctors letter???

I take a variety of medication including strong painkillers, I got a travel letter from my GP (which was free) just to be on the safe side. I took all medication and letter in my hand luggage. Had no problems at all, but I'd rather have the travel letter as I couldn't travel without my medication.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doctors letter???

I take medication and I usually carry a photocopy of my prescription.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doctors letter???

Thanks I will have to get a letter then .better be safe than sorry - I'm diabetic so can't do without my tablets.

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doctors letter???

I am a diabetic on insulin, i carry a letter from my doctor explaining this. No one has ever asked to look at it or check my insulin at any airport, including Egypt where I went in September 2011.

London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doctors letter???

I went in January and also thought this, as I am on strong painkillers and other medication, I asked my doctor about this and he just laughed!!!! "why would you need a letter" so I never got one, but I just put all medication in my hand luggage anyway, so as not to lose it. When I first got to Gatwick obviously I had it in one of those see through plastic bags, and I asked the man who was checking bottles, etc. about Egypt he even said - "I travel to Egypt and have never heard of it" but as someone says above if you feel better about getting a letter then go ahead. I won't bother trying to get a letter again. Anyway as my doctor told me I have the printed labels on medication with name and dosage that matches my passport. So many different stories and rules.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doctors letter???

your personal medications usually have your name and address on the label,

and you carry your passport n nhs card n euro health card n travel insurance,

so you have many proofs of who you are and the meds are in your name on the labels...

Level Contributor
462 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doctors letter???

I have an epi pen for allergies and have a leter from he consultant but like others have said ive never been asked to see it anywhere not even in usa, were they were more intrested in my laptop than my epi pen amd breathing machine.

8. Re: Doctors letter???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh