We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance

Hi if you dont purchase your insurance from the tour operator you booked with what company do you use and who do feel offers the best insurance.

Thanks

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance

It really depends what you want from your insurance. By that I mean that cover differs in the amount it will pay out for say, lost baggage, or lost personal items and theres also any excess to be taken into account. Then you have to decide whether you will be doing any activities eg quad biking that won't be included under your basic policy.

I tend to use a price comparison website as costs change from day to day so theres no one company I could or would recommend.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297555-s407/Sharm-El…

Northampton
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance

Some of them don't include scuba diving as a standard either which is what a lot of people go to Egypt for.

Hexham, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance

just watch with internet sites i thought i got a really good deal lost baggage, delay medical cover ect but when i phoned to confirm price they told me that i was not covered for alot of things i.e if war broke out i was not covered to get me back, ash clouds ect so i went with virgin travel and got a week insurance for myself and 13 yr old daughter for £15 and it covered everything i needed. also you should insure from the day you book as even though the date on certificate if from the date of travel you are actually covered from the day get the insurance so if you became ill before travel and can no longer travel you are covered for cancelation.

please excuse punctuation and spelling on my phone

staffs
Level Contributor
859 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance

Also if you are diving watch what depth you are insured to,only really you can decide which company as if you have any medical problems whats right for us may not be for yourselves.H.

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
329 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance

Heather198 - completely agree with you, my insurance comes with my bank account, after recently switching and just presumed it was the same cover as our other account and went diving last year with it in the Cannaries.

Brought it out of retirement for my upcoming trip to Sharm and actually read it....... only then did I notice it was for European cover and only 18 m down, very lucky I didn't need it. I've upgraded for next weeks trip :)

London
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insurance

Most insurance policies cover Egypt as part of European cover. I too have bank insurance and asked them if it covers Egypt and it does. The insurance I have just expired also only stated Europe or America etc. etc. and the Europe bit also covered Egypt. But I do agree you have to check.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insurance

All I would say is check the small print especially when buying from tour operator as they do not normally ask any questions regarding previous claims and pre existing medical conditions.

My mum in law paid £400 for her insurance for a 2 week break to Sharm with a big tour operator and it wasn't until I checked the policy wording (no certificate or schedule given) that I pointed out they were not covered for anything.

I then had to call the medical screening line for the insurer to provide their medical history and pay additional premium to get them full cover. If the travel agent had asked them or drawn their attention to page 16 of the policy it would have been better, as they would have just went back to their old insurer and paid about £100 less! I wonder if they still get a commission for selling these policies?? Mmmm

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,821 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insurance

if you take insurance with the holiday company you book with check whether you are covered for trips NOT organised by them.

When I got there the trip I had gone all that way for was cancelled.

I said ok I'll go with a local company they said their insurance didn't cover me (fortunately I had my own! :-)

Then the hotel reception wouldn't book the trip for me because I was with a tour group.

I have a series of checks I make from an old policy that was good then do an internet check, then ring to confirm that I would be covered for what I want......never buy in a hurry, they will negotiate the price down if you say you aren't buying straight away.

10. Re: Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh