We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

I am going to sharm in 2 weeks, am abit worried about spending money i am taking. i am going for two weeks with two other people , all inclusive and i can only afford around £800 -£900 maximum this is basically for xcursions and souvenirs and maybe eating out here and there. i want to do quite a few excursions and i am only going to do them with thomson some excursions are around £200 though. my travel agent told me £800 is around 6000 egyptian dollars at the moment, now i know this doesnt mean i will have more money but when i went to tunisia last year our excursions were cheaper than we expected as we paid for them in tunisian currency, does anyone have an opinion on whether the amount im taking will be enough to pay for excursions?

LIVERPOOL
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

Firstly £800 is currently equal to around 7500 Egyptian pounds if you change your sterling in resort, However UK tour operators such as Thomas cook and Thomson's tend to price there excursions in sterling for British guests so the exchange rate would therefore be irrelevant.

Take your spends in sterling and just change as and when you need to, It is also quite imposable to say if £800 is enough without knowing exactly which trips you want to go on also is the £800 just for you or is it to cover the three of you, If it is just you then you will be able to do an amazing amount for £800.

Hope this helps.

John

Swansea, United...
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

Please read the Tips at the top of the messages and the questions in blue down the right hand side of the page, there is so much info there that you will need, it's worth printing it out.

Change your money in Sharm, you will get approx 10% more for your money. I only do long distance trips (Israel, Jordan, Cairo, Luxor etc) with Longwood, that's my preference, you will be talking in excess of £100pp for these trips, Petra, in Jordan being the most expensive which will be in excess of £200, If you do a few of these trips your money won't go far!. However I do local trips with local companies, these are much cheaper and you can haggle, especially if doing a few trips, half day boat trips between £15 - £20 inc lunch. You will need to decide what trips you want to do and then we can give approx prices.

Eating out can be quite cheap, it's the alcohol that can be expensive. There are very good restaurants with a range of prices and all nationalities of food.

Regards

barbarah

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

hi, im taking about £800, my mum is taking about £800 and my niece is taking around £350 so between us were going to put all that money in a pot and doour excursions with it...im not feeling confident to book excursions outside of thomson as i want to book them when i get there and wont know whether theyre reputable or not and dont have time to research and find out which ones are good. so by the sounds ofit i may aswell change up money when i get there? we are hoping to do the daytrip to cairo by air and alexandria, luxor and the stargazing one so around 3 to 4 excursions tops

thanks

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

I would definitely try and see Cairo and Luxor, two excellent trips. If you are set on using Thomsons for your trips see if they do Cairo by bus will be cheaper but a much longer day, but it may mean that you could also get to Alexandria. Enjoy your trips :)

Netherton
Level Contributor
541 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

Hi

That is a good ammount of cash. I would look to book with an independant tour operator if you can though as your money will go a lot further. For a guide on pricing to compare you can get the trip prices on Thomson's website and then compare them with another independant tour operator. I am going with Sharm Life although that is solely a personal choice there are plenty of other operators to chose from if you want to go independant. However for the trips we going to be doing they are around £350 rather then £650 so for me it makes no sense to go with Thomson

Regards Dave and Chell

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,123 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

Hi,

There are no trips to Alex from Sharm.

Regards

co. durham
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

I would like to go on trips with independent companies but feel a bit worried incase something happens... solely down to my 4 year old daughter being with us. Do young children go aswell..? Apologies if this sounds silly! Might be in danger of being an overprotective mam!

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

i feel the same as you kat, i am taking my mum and my 11 year old niece so i will be sorting everything out myself. Regarding independent operators how would i go about finding them? i dont want to book anything in advance so im not quite sure once i get to sharm how i will find them?

in tunisia i paid for my excursions in tunisian dinar in the hotel to a thomas cook rep. does anyone know how much the excursions are in egyptian pounds has anyone gone on any xcursions from dreams vacations with thomson?

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

I can't comment on individual companies save to say that any excursions with Thomsons or Thomas Cook and the like are ridiculously over priced for what they are and very little of the money they make actually goes back to the Egyptians involved in your excursions eg guides/drivers.

Local tour comapnies can save you money as well as having the expertise and personal touch others enjoy.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egyptian currency and excursions with thomson

I have just returned from Sharm. Take Sterling, the tour guides will give you a 10 - 1 ratio as opposed to the current uk exchange rate of 8.5 - 1.

In Sharm I also used a currency exchange shop and got 9.5 -1 GBP.

So your best bet is to take uk pounds with you.

David

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh
Recent Conversations